You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 434673  

Print Page



© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 434673
Location: GANTS MILL, SUNNY LANE
  PITCOMBE, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 07 July 2005
Date listed: 29 August 1984
Date of last amendment: 29 August 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PITCOMBE CPST63SESUNNY LANE5/262Gants MillGV

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE SUNNY LANE 5/262 Gants Mill GV II* Water mill. Mostly C18 and C19, with late C13 origins. Local stone rubble with ashlar and brick dressings; plain clay tile roof between coped gables. "T"-plan; 3 storeys with attics; 8 bays, projection, then 4 bays to South elevation. All windows are 2-light casements, with segmental arched gauged brick heads; lights mostly replaced in the 4 right-hand bays, of C18; but some wood frames with leaded lights survive in the first 7 bays, the 1810 addition; other windows in this section blocked; old stable opening under timber beam bays 1 to 3, and to bay 6 a doorway with keystones to brick arch and approach stair ladder: 2 attic dormers remain in right hand section projecting wing probably of 1883, to accommodate steam engine and later turbine, with stone arched windows and small pane casement windows, main block of full height but with further single storey section: on North gable a timber, brick and tile extension formerly over part of mill pond. Interior construction timber based, but with early cast iron columns propping main crossbeams, and in some places old machinery spindles, etc, have been incorporated as props; roof trusses of West section probably of 1810, these in East section earlier. Mill still used (1983) for grinding animal feed and occasionally whole wheat flour, using mostly machinery of 1888; grindstones, conveyers, sackhoist and grain bins, and power from a turbine of that date, a 20" British Empire turbine by Armfields of Ringwood. First mill on this site was a fulling mill, soon two, erected about 1290; one mill probably demolished in C17 or C18 and the other adapted to cornmill; between 1800 and 1810 extended and fitted out as a silk mill, but by c1830 reverted to mill for flour and animal feedstuffs. Steam power introduced 1883, replaced by semi-diesel in 1914 but this unit sold c1940: former brick chimney now demolished. (G Shingler, Gants Mill, Bruton, unpublished leaflet, undated).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.