You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 435135  

Print Page



© Mr GW Tanner ARPS

IoE Number: 435135
Location: SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BELVIDE ROUND HOUSE AND RETAINING WALL, BELVIDE RESERVOIR, AT SJ 869103,
  BREWOOD, SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr GW Tanner ARPS
Date Photographed: 18 September 1999
Date listed: 26 March 1993
Date of last amendment: 26 March 1993
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added: BREWOOD SHROPSHIRE UNION SJ 81 SE CANAL 486-/2/10000 Belvide Round House and retaining wall, Belvide Reservoir, at SJ 869103 II* Valve house and retaining wall. c1833. Designed by Thomas Telford for his Birminqham and Liverpool Junction (now Shropshire Union) Canal. Valve house is a dressed stone, Circular building, with a cast-iron dome. It has a pair of studded, wooden doors., facing south, and a small, square opening piercing the wall facing east. The valve equipment inside is believed to be original. Adjoining to west is a concave,brick retaining wall built into the headbank of Belvide Reservoir. The wall has sloping wings and brick copinqs. The Round House is part of the water control system which feeds the Shropshire Union Canal.It houses a 'let-off' valve which allows water to run out of Belvide Reservoir, along a feeder stream and into the canal. An extremely rare surviving example of an original valve house. The unusual combination of materials and the quality of design typify Telford's 'programme' of works for the B and LJ Canal which was constructed between 1827-35.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.