© Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS
CHURCH OF ST EDITHA, HIGH STREET (south side)
POLESWORTH, NORTH WARWICKSHIRE, WARWICKSHIRE
Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS
28 July 2001
25 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
25 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
POLESWORTH HIGH STREET
SK2OSE (South side)
25/03/68 Church of St Editha
Church, originally part of a Benedictine nunnery church, C11 origins. Early Cl2
nave and north aisle, C14 tower has C17/C18 top. Aisle probably widened C14.
chancel and north parch added and drastic restoration 1869 by G.E. Street.
Sandstone ashlar. Old plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Navel chancel,
north aisle and porch, north east tower. 4-bay chancel, 8-bay nave, Chancel ha
east window of 5 stepped lancets in a blank arch. South side has a blocked C12
Romanesque doorway of 2 orders with hood mould, originally to the cloister, set
against the western end. 2 pairs of lancets. Nave has Cl9 windows. South side
has 3 triplets of lancets set in-blank arches. Set high up are 2 straight-headed
restored C14 windows of cusped ogee lights with pierced spandrels. Between them,
and set lower, is a C19 lancet. West front composed of nave and very slightly
projecting aisle. Nave has renewed 4-light Perpendicular window. Aisle has
northern and massive southern buttresses, both of 2 offsets. Early C13 doorway,
set off-centre, of 2 chamfered orders with old double-leaf doors and ironwork.
Window has cusped Y-tracery and small buttress below. Gable has trefoil opening
and CIA cross finial. North side has splay plinth and shallow buttresses. Wide,
low porch with moulded doorway and double-leaf doors, C12 doorway inside of 2
moulded orders. Trefoiled faucet to west. To east of porch are 3 triplets of
lancets, similar to nave windeows. Massive tower of 2 stages has diagonal
buttresses; each with gablet and 2 offsets, to all except the south-east corner.
Very large restored 3-light Decorated north window rises into the second stage,
and has reticulated tracery, a transom and a hood mould with head stops. Bell
chamber has 2-light openings with reticulated tracery and wooden louvres. East
side is blank apart from 2 large slit openings to the bell chamber. Embattled
parapet has slits below. Clock face to west. Interior: chancel has east window
with nook shafts. North tower arch of 3 segmental painted chamfered orders and
fieep splayed jambs. Cusped arched brace roof. C19 chancel arch of one chamfered
order without responds or imposts. Nave has 8-bay early C11 Romanesque arcade of
low narrow arches with shallow scalloped capitals and string course above,
Former clerestory of small windows with splayed jambs. Medieval head corbel sat
high up. Cl9 seven-bay crown post roof. Aisle has similar roof. Tower arch has
outer chamfer, and 3 inner chamfered orders with deep splay jambs, Fittings: C14
octagonal font has trefoiled blind arches and simple shafts. Iron-bound dug-out
chest. C14 sculpture panel set on a head corbel in the aisle. C19 stalls etc.
Monuments: effigy of an Abbess c.1200, in second bay of arcade, is in low
relief, and set on a C15 Perpendicular tomb chest with shields in quatrefoils.
Early C15 effigy of a lady, third bay. Similar Perpendicular tomb chest with
blind arches to the angles. Francis Nethersole 1652; nave east wall. Panel with
moulded architectural surround and lozenge of arms.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp372-373; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV,