© Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW,
SHUTTINGTON, NORTH WARWICKSHIRE, WARWICKSHIRE
Mr Alfred John Dyson LRPS
26 July 2001
23 May 1988
Date of last amendment:
23 May 1988
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK2ONE Church of St Matthew
Church. C12 and C14; west front altered and turret added c.1666 extensively
restored and altered by W.H. Bidlake 1908-1909. Sandstone rubble; angles and
west front of regular coursed sandstone. Old plain-tile roofs; coped west gable
parapet has segmental pediment. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Romanesque style.
Windows are mostly of 1908-09, with moulded arches and nook shafts witfi
scalloped capitals. Chancel has single east and north windows. South-east window
has part of a C14 opening to the right. C14 straight-headed south-west window of
2 ogee lights. Nave has 2- windows to north and south. South-west window is
inserted into a blocked C12 Romanesque doorway, which retains part of a
roll-moulded arch. West front has slightly projecting C12 portal with pilaster
butresses, inner and outer arches, eroded zig-zag arch with nook shafts, and
hood mould with remains of nailhead decoration. C19 studded double-leaf doors.
Small trefoiled lancets to left and right have cornices, probably C17, above.
Gable has moulded window with cusped Y-tracery, Turret has late C20
weatherboarding. Pyramid roof. Interior is plastered. Chancel has hammerbeam
roof, and Romanesque style chancel arch with shafts and carbels of 1908-1909.
Nave has C17/C18 collar beam roof, possibly partly reconstructed. Fittings: C18
pulpit has fielded panels. Simple roof font of indeterminate date.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p398; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol lV, pp213-214