© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (north side)
WEDMORE, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
01 September 2003
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST44NW WEDMORE CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
14/151 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Predominantly C15, though C12 and C13 work survive, restored 1880. Coursed and squared rubble, dressed
stone, lead roofs. Nave, North and South aisles, South aisle chapel, South tower porch, crossing tower, chancel,
transcepts, North and South chancel chapels. Tower with set back buttresses, triple 2-light bell chamber windows, those
to centre louvred, those to each side blank, stair turret, arcaded parapet. Similar blank parapet to South side, lesser
parapet to North side. Earliest feature the South porch doorway of c1200 with 2 orders of detached shafts with leaf
capitals; door dated 1677. Chancel and South East chapel of C1300; the latter with a 2-light window with a cusped head.
Remainder Perpendicular; single bay transepts, 2-bay South aisle chapel, 5-bay aisles; 4 and 5-light windows with
renewed tracery. Inside aisles with tall thin piers of 4-hollow section. South aisle chapel latest of all, entered
through a 2 bay arcade formed from 2 earlier windows. Roofs predominantly C19, though on earlier carved corbels, roof
to nave dated 1810; C15 lean-to roofs to South aisle chapel and North chancel chapel, the latter with the remains of
some painted decoration. Piscinae to chancel, North chancel chapel and South aisle chapel. Fan vault under tower.
Staircase in porch to parvise; entrance to rood. C14 octagonal font; medieval slab altar; C17 pulpit with a sounding
board; medieval chest; 2 C17 chests; church wardens strongbox dated 1813; chandelier dated 1779, 2 further chandeliers
of the C19; 2 C17 coffin stools; several large wall monuments, Boulting and family of 1622, Elizabeth Boulting 1751;
C17 wall monument to chancel; 2 C18 wall monuments to porch; 24 C19 monuments by many local firms; C19 stained glass,
particularly to East and West windows. Brasses to George and Thomas Hodges of 1684 and 1583 respectively. C15 wall
painting of St Christopher over the pulpit. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).