You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 435934  

Print Page



© Mr Dennis Carr

IoE Number: 435934
Location: NOSTELL PRIORY,
  HUNTWICK WITH FOULBY AND NOSTELL, WAKEFIELD, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Dennis Carr
Date Photographed: 23 October 2006
Date listed: 06 June 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HUNTWICK WITH FOULBYNOSTELL PARKSE 4017AND NOSTELL6/25Nostell Priory6.6.1952

HUNTWICK WITH FOULBY NOSTELL PARK SE 4017 AND NOSTELL 6/25 Nostell Priory 6.6.1952 GV I Country house. 1736-1750, for Sir Rowland Winn, 4th baronet, by James Paine, probably from initial designs of Col. James Moyser (based on Palladio's Villa Mocenigo); completed by Robert Adam, with some alterations, 1765-1776, and with the addition of a north wing 1779-80, for Sir Rowland Winn, 5th baronet. Sandstone ashlar, stone slate roof. Conceived as a rectangular central block joined by quadrant wings to 4 square pavilions, of which only the southern pair were built (and one of these subsequently demolished). The main block is of double-pile circulatory plan. The east front, of 2 storeys raised over a rustic basement, and l3 bays, is symmetrical; it has a 5-bay centre of attached giant Ionic columns, with a plain entablature and a dentilled pediment containing a large carved coat of arms (of the Winn family); on the piano nobile level, a central doorway with architrave and pediment on consoles, and 12-pane sashed windows which have similar architraves with pediments alternately segmental, the windows linked by sill-bands; and at 1st floor, square 9 pane windows with architraves, that in the centre eared. In the centre of the rustic, which has similar windows, a 5-bay raised terrace, added by Robert Adam, flanked by curving flights of steps, has a central pedimented doorway (now the principal entrance), and 4 square 12-pane windows, and a balustraded parapet carried down the steps on either side. Dentilled cornice and hipped 2-span roof with 6 chimneys rising within the valley (3 each side of the centre).The added north wing (known as the Family Wing), has a set-back 3-bay linking range, a 5-bay main block with a tetrastyle Ionic portico rising from the projected rustic, a blind oeil-de- boeuf in the pediment, Ionic corner pilasters, a string course of guilloches below the 1st floor windows, and a plain frieze, but otherwise matches the main range. The 5-bay left return wall of the main Hall has in the centre of the rustic a round-headed doorway with round-headed side windows, flanked by coved niches, in the piano nobile above this, a Venetian window, and other windows otherwise similar to those at the front except that the pediments are all triangular and the architraves of those above have scrolls in the centre of the heads and sills. The west front has giant Ionic pilasters to a 5-bay pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly, a small doorway in the centre of the rustic, and windows matching those in the front. The Kitchen pavilion, to the south west, is square in plan, 3 x 3 bays, of 2 storeys over a basement, with attic, and symmetrical in each facade: except for the east side (attached to the quadrant passage),each has a central coved niche with pedimented architrave, 15-pane sashes at ground floor and 9-pane sashes above, all with raised surrounds; and a pyramidal roof with a pedimented dormer in the centre of each side, and a large square apex chimney. Interior:Rococo design, decoration and furnishing of major importance, by James Paine and subsequently by Robert Adam, with plaster by Joseph Rose, painting by Antonio Zucchi, furnishings and some decoration by Thomas Chippendale: the earlier work, by Paine, mainly in the North and South Staircases, and rooms to the south of the Hall (of which the Dining Room, State Bedchamber and State Dressing Room are of principal interest); the later work, by Adam, in the Top Hall and rooms to the north (principally the Saloon, the Tapestry Room and the Library). References: National Trust Nostell Priory (1985); Derek Linstrum West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture (1978).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.