You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 436249  

Print Page

© Mr Patrick Norris

IoE Number: 436249
Photographer: Mr Patrick Norris
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 22 February 1995
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ79SEBROOKLANDSBROOKLANDS ROAD(west side)698-1/549-7/549Church of St John theDivine

SJ79SE BROOKLANDS BROOKLANDS ROAD (west side) 698-1/549-7/549 Church of St John the Divine 3/10/74 II* Church. 1864-68, by Alfred Waterhouse. Coursed sandstone rubble, red tiled roof. Gothic style. Nave with double north and south transepts, north porch, chancel with north vestry (plus C20 additions to west end). The buttressed 6-bay nave has large 2-centred arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and large emphatic unfoiled circular tracery, linked by a drip-band which carries round the buttresses; square corner pinnacles; and a very large 6-light west window (the lower part now concealed by additions at this end). The gabled porch to the 1st bay on the north side has a cusped opening under a 2-centred arch with paired shafts; wrought-iron gates and immediately inside these a panelled screen and door. The transepts have large 3-light windows similar to those of the nave but with spherical triangles over the outer lights, and roofs with bands of green fishscale slates and red cockscomb ridge tiles. The chancel has (inter alia) a large rose window with circular tracery, a niche below this with the eagle emblem of the Evangelist, and a band of raised lettering. The porch to the north vestry has a moulded doorway with innner lintel inscribed "LET THY PRIESTS BE CLOTHED WITH RIGHTEOUSNESS". Interior: yellow brick with some polychromatic patterning; steep open roof; one south nave window with stained glass by Morris & Co., 1897 (Pevsner). This building was formerly listed in the City of Manchester.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.