You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 436471  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Arnold

IoE Number: 436471
Location: GRACE DIEU MANOR PREPARATORY SCHOOL, ASHBY ROAD
  BELTON, NORTH WEST LEICESTERSHIRE, LEICESTERSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Brian Arnold
Date Photographed: 17 October 2002
Date listed: 27 September 1962
Date of last amendment: 16 January 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BELTONASHBY ROADSK 41 NW6/1Grace Dieu Manor27.9.62Preparatory School(formerly listed as Grace

BELTON ASHBY ROAD SK 41 NW 6/1 Grace Dieu Manor 27.9.62 Preparatory School (formerly listed as Grace Dieu Manor House) GV II Former mansion, now school. 1833-4, by William Railton with alterations to chapel 1841, addition of aisle 1848, addition of east wing and stable court gateway c1846, by A W N Pugin for Ambrose Lisle March Phillips de Lisle, a promoter of the Catholic Revival. Altered early 1900s for Booth family, with some work by Sir Banister Fletcher. Other minor alterations 1930s and 40s. School exten- sions to rear are mid 1960s and not of special architectural interest. Colour- wash render with stone dressings, Welsh slate roofs to main house, Swithland slate roofs to chapel and east wing. Original block is double pile, with chapel wing to west, kitchen wing to north, and stables enclosing north side of court- yard. Stables and kitchen wing have 1930s lean-to extensions, and courtyard is crossed by early C20 covered passages. Pugin wing projecting to east originally built as a children's wing. MAIN BLOCK is in Tudor style and is of 2 storeys and attic. 3-bay south front, 2-bay east front. Chamfered stone plinth, string courses at floor levels, stone coping to parapets and gables. Windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions and transoms, upper lights with 4-centred heads and moulded spandrels, and wooden glazing bars. Rendered and colourwashed chimneys with groups of tall square, round and octagonal shafts. South front has 2-storey rectangular projection to left, ashlar-fronted, with parapet and 3-light windows. Lower window is ovolo-moulded and replaces former doorway. Single light to first floor left and left return. Centre bay has 3-light ground floor window, canted oriel above with parapet and moulded corbel base, and single light in small gable. Gables have stepped bases. Right bay is gabled and projecting, with 4-light ground floor window, 5-light first floor window, and 3-light attic window. 2 dormers, the left gabled. East front of block has 3-light windows and gabled dormer to left, and gabled right bay with 2-storey ashlar bay window. Beyond is the PUGIN WING, also of 2 storeys and attic but more austere in style. This has steep rqof with stone coped gable and rectan- gular rendered chimneys. 3 bays of 3-light windows with chamfered stone mullions, the ground floor and right bay windows with transoms. 2 gabled dormers. Between right bays is a semi-octagonal stair turret with octagonal pyramid roof and small single lights. At right end is a shorter narrow bay with cross windows and C20 fire escape to gable. Rear of wing has similar windows cellar openings and 2 doors with 4-centred heads. Set back at left end of main block is a WATER TOWER of 3 stages with ashlar top stage, battlemented parapet and traceried wooden bellcote with lead spirelet and weathervane. South side of tower has carved clock-face with sun motif, 2-light transomed window, and armorial plaque over double doors in moulded 4-centred arch with Tudor hood- mould. To left again is CHAPEL, with off-set buttresses and 4 bays of 2-light traceried windows. 4-centred arch in small spur wall at angle to left end. Gable end with 3-light traceried window and arched door in ashlar-fronted porch. Beyond are a small tower with octagonal top, an aisle by Pugin with 3-light traceried window, and a sacristy with 2 cusped lights,early C20 arched doorway and C20 dormers. Arched entry to courtyard, with hipped roof and de Lisle ciphers on tablets. INTERIOR: original parts of house have Tudor fire- places to ground floor, and 4-centred passage arches. Some 4-panelled doors with 4-centred heads, simple panelling. Stone arcade in-entrance hall by Banister Fletcher, c1900. Former entrance hall with painting of Saints Thomas of Canterbury and Edward the Confessor. Chapel has altered chancel but retains original roof, floor tiles and glass. Pugin aisle has scissor-braced roof, 3-bay arcade, and fine stone baldacchino by Pugin in Gothic style with traceried gables. Fittings include cusped piscina, 2 plaster statues in canopied wooden niches, screen to front of aisle chapel by Pugin, bell by Pugin, tabernacle by Pugin, and Easter Sepulcre in form of altar tomb.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.