You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 436549  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 436549
Location: LITTLE CREECH (ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS CENTRE), BICKENHALL LANE
  WEST HATCH, TAUNTON DEANE, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 05 February 2003
Date listed: 08 August 1995
Date of last amendment: 08 August 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WEST HATCHBICKENHALL LANEST 21 NE8/10003Little Creech (RSPCACentre)

WEST HATCH BICKENHALL LANE ST 21 NE 8/10003 Little Creech (RSPCA Centre) - II Farmhouse. Circa early to mid C17; remodelled and extended in late C18 [datestone 1783]; altered C19. Rendered stone. Asbestos slate roof with Hamstone coping to gable-ends; rear pitch clad in concrete tiles. Axial and gable-end stacks with rebuilt brick shafts. PLAN: 3-room plan with service rooms in the rear outshut and a cross-passage to the right of the centre room. The original house would have had a 3-room plan with a lobby entrance in front of the axial stack between the central hall/parlour and the kitchen on the right with its large gable-end stack. In the late C18 the house was refenestrated, the eaves were raised, the roof rebuilt and an outshut built across the back. In the C19 a cross-passage was inserted through the kitchen and an outshut was built at the right [east] end. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window south front, arranged 2:1. Hamstone 3-light mullion windows with iron casements. Cross-passage doorway to right of centre with cambered arch and panelled and glazed door. On first floor, to right of centre, a stone tablet inscribed BI:IM:DB:1783. At the rear [north] the roof is carried down as a catslide over the outshut. INTERIOR: Right-hand room [kitchen], reduced because of insertion of cross-passage, has chamfered cross-beam over passage partition and very large fireplace with chamfered stone jambs, large chamfered timber lintel with step stops, shelf on brackets, pegs above, oven and curing chamber; blocked newel staircase beside stack. Central room [hall/parlour] has chamfered cross-beams with cyma stops and large stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and cyma-moulded timber lintel. The left [west] room has no exposed features. C18 tenoned-purlin roof with collars pegged to the faces of the principals.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.