You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 437567  

Print Page



© Mr Steve Kirkland

IoE Number: 437567
Location: RAYNER'S LANE LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION, INCLUDING SHOPS AND PLATFORMS, RAYNERS LANE (west side)
  HARROW, HARROW, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mr Steve Kirkland
Date Photographed: 20 March 2005
Date listed: 17 May 1994
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following buildings shall be added: TQ 18 NW RAYNER'S LANE (west side) 1157-/3/10003 Rayner's Lane LRT Underground Station, including shops and platforms (including Rayner's Lane Station, Alexandra Avenue) GV II London Underground Station with integrated shops and platforms. 1938 by Charles Holden and Reginald Uren. Reinforced concrete post and lintel construction exposed at platform level; red brick infill, some load-bearing. Flat concrete roof slabs exposed as broad cornice band under deep eaves. Symmetrical composition on bridge over tracks. Single storey frontage to Alexandra Avenue features corner kiosks with original curved shopfronts; entrances to side lead through square double-height ticket hall to single storey rear bridge, whence stairs under stepped enclosures descend to platforms. Platform structures are integral with the hall, bridge and stairs, set back from the tracks under a deep concrete canopy on two levels divided by clerestory and with waiting area between metal screens at foot of stairs. Enclosed waiting rooms with curved ends. All glazing save shopfronts metal with strong horizontal emphasis in glazing bars. Ticket hall has two 2-light full height strip windows at front, 4-light windows assymmetrically spaced at sides, 7-light full-height window at rear. Ticket hall lined in brick, with collector's booth and sign 'To the Trains.' Over the entrance shops two roundels impaled on poles bear the legends 'UndergrounD' and 'Rayners Lane'. At platform level survive the original 'platform' signs and roundels fully lined out in black. On open part of platform, 22 original standard lamps; the platforms are bounded by the original concrete fence punctuated by 8 slabs bearing roundels and poster boards. Included as a more complex variant on the Sudbury Town prototype, with greater maturity in the composition of its curved frontage layout. It is unusually rich in the survival of its signage and fixtures.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.