You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 437587  

Print Page

© Mr Steve Kirkland

IoE Number: 437587
Photographer: Mr Steve Kirkland
Date Photographed: 09 July 2006
Date listed: 17 May 1994
Date of last amendment: 17 May 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TQ 18 NESUDBURY HILLGREENFORD ROAD(west side)1157-/4/10004Sudbury Hill LRTUnderground Station, andgenerating station

TQ 18 NE SUDBURY HILL GREENFORD ROAD (west side) 1157-/4/10004 Sudbury Hill LRT Underground Station, and generating station GV II London Underground Station with flanking kiosks and rear generating station, 1931 by Charles Holden, supervised on site by Stanley Heaps. Red brick and reinforced concrete. Flat concrete roof slabs. Curved forecourt wall with open impaled roundel leads to symmetrical single-storey entrance flanked by kiosks, behind which rises square double-height ticket hall at side of tracks. Adjoining concrete bridge leads to stairs, under stepped enclosures, which descend to covered shelters on either side set back from platform and incorporating fixed seating behind glazed screens. On integral platform walls the roundels are outlined in black, with two extra roundels in stepped concrete slabs incorporating poster boards. The 'up' platform incorporates a generating station, rectangular and unfenestrated, a fine example of Holden's use of unadorned brickwork topped with a concrete slab - and important in juxtaposition with the glazed box of the station. All windows metal casements, with horizontal glazing bars except for those to shop fronts, which are however also original. Sign, 'Sudbury Hill Station' in separate Johnston Sans letters. Ticket hall has full height glazed 3-bay panel as centrepiece of each facade, that to road with coloured logo and legend 'UndergrounD'. Ticket hall retains fixed bench and telephone area under original sign. Exposed concrete lintels in ceiling. Original tiling to floor. Included as the second station to be completed on the Sudbury Town model; a refinement of the prototype in a remarkably good state of preservation. Sources: Lawrence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985 The Thirties Society, End of the Line, 1987

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.