You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 438454  

Print Page



© Mr Terence Moors

IoE Number: 438454
Location: KNYPERSLEY HALL, CONWAY ROAD
  BIDDULPH, STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Terence Moors
Date Photographed: 08 September 2007
Date listed: 22 August 1994
Date of last amendment: 22 August 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BIDDULPHCONWAY ROAD,SJ 85 NEKnypersley1915-0/7/10013Knypersley Hall

BIDDULPH CONWAY ROAD, SJ 85 NE Knypersley 1915-0/7/10013 Knypersley Hall GV II* House. Circa early-mid C18; reduced and remodelled C19. Roughcast brick. Slate hipped roof with lead rolls to hips and ridge. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: The original C18 house was of three storeys and 2:3:2 bays facing south west. In the C19 the four west bays [most of the house to the north west] were demolished and the 4-bay south east side became the principal front. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, symmetrical 3:2:3 window south east front, the flanking 3 windows in 2-storey canted bays, the centre round-headed, all with keyblocks, cills and 12-pane sashes, ground floor right and centre with thick glazing bars, ground floor left glazing bars removed; doorway to left of centre with fanlight and glazed and panelled door. Left return, remains of original front, 1:2 bays, left bay recessed. The north east, originally the rear, is recessed at centre; the north west elevation is irregular. INTERIOR: Fine open-well, open-string staircase has scrolled tread-ends and a wrought-iron and brass balustrade with anthemion decoration and monogram JB and date 1800, signed W. Marsh; the moulded mahogany handrail is wreathed over the curtail. The drawing room has a remarkable mid C18 Rococo plaster ceiling, the design spread over the flat ground with arabesques, interlacing, cartouches, shells, ribands, baskets of flowers, branches of blossom and delicate sheaves, all in deep relief, especially the elaborate centrepiece; there is an enriched modillion cornice. The front left [east] room has a moulded dentilled cornice. NOTE: Knypersley Hall was the seat of Sir Francis Bowyer in the early C17. The house was rebuilt in the early to mid C18 and in the early C19 it became the home of the Bateman family. James Bateman, the eminent hoticulturalist and landscape gardener, who designed the gardens at Biddulph Grange [qv], grew up at Knypersley where he executed his first landscape designs. The house and park are illustrated on a Spode plate made to commemorate James Bateman's 21st birthday in 1832. SOURCE: Hayden, P., Biddulph Grange: National Trust 1989; pp 62 and 63.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.