You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 439616  

Print Page

© Mr Harry Dobbs

IoE Number: 439616
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, SAINT JAMES STREET (north east side)
Photographer: Mr Harry Dobbs
Date Photographed: 17 August 1999
Date listed: 24 January 1967
Date of last amendment: 24 January 1967
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SD 91 SWMILNROWSAINT JAMES STREET(north-east side)3/108Church of24/1/67St. James

SD 91 SW MILNROW SAINT JAMES STREET (north-east side) 3/108 Church of 24/1/67 St. James G.V. II Church. 1868-9. By G. E. Street for the Schofield family. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch, west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and side chapel. Gothic revival. 5-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth and weathered buttresses. Gabled porch in bay 1. Other bays have 2-light aisle windows with curvilinear tracery and triple clerestory lights with cusped heads. Coped gables with finials. 4-light west window and 5-light east window. The side chapel and organ chamber/vestry have ogee-arched doorways. 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and octagonal stair turret has 2-light belfry openings, a ballflower-enriched band below a parapet with blind cusping, gargoyles, a pyramidal roof, and pinnacles which have been taken down (1984). Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade on octagonal columns having naturalistic foliage capitals, sculptor - T. Earp. Double- chamfered chancel and tower arches. Nave has king-post roof trusses whereas chancel has arch-braced collar-tie roof trusses. Sedilia and piscina. Stone font and pulpit. Stained glass. Timber fittings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.