You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 440945  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Briggs

IoE Number: 440945
Location: SUTTON PARK, MAIN STREET (south off)
  SUTTON ON THE FOREST, HAMBLETON, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter Briggs
Date Photographed: 30 August 2007
Date listed: 28 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 27 July 1989
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 5864SUTTON-ON-THE-FORESTMAIN STREET(south side, off)6/10Sutton Park (formerlylisted as Sutton Hall)

SE 5864 SUTTON-ON-THE-FOREST MAIN STREET (south side, off) 6/10 Sutton Park (formerly listed as Sutton Hall) 28.2.1952 GV I Country house. 1730-40, altered by Thomas Atkinson for Phillip Harland. Pinkish brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; slate roof. Double pile plan. 3 storeys with cellar and attic, 5 bays with single-storey 3-bay wings linking main range to 2-storey, 2-bay partitions. In Palladian style. Entrance (north) front: main range: plinth band; ground and lst-floor sill bands; 1st floor platt band; modillion-corniced pediment. Central entrance: flight of iron-balustraded stone steps up to panelled double door, top 4 panels now glazed; fanlight with radial glazing bars; keyed archivolt; classical architrave with attached Tuscan columns and full entablature. Windows are sashes with glazing bars and 9-pane unequally-hung sashes to 2nd floor, all with flat, gauged brick arches. Oculus with glazing bars to pediment. Lateral brick stacks. Wings, probably added mid C18: curved: each has central door of 6 raised and fielded panels under fanlight with radial glazing bars, that to right wing painted; similar painted fanlights to flanking sashes with glazing bars; all openings under round brick arches; eaves band and balustrade, band continued from main-range platt band and continuing across pavilions as lst-floor sill band. Pavilions: bands and pediments as main range; sashes with glazing bars to ground floor, 6-pane sashes above, those of right pavilion painted; very large (kitchen) ridge stack to left pavilion. On left, tall brick wall projects forward masking service wing. Garden (south) front: similar to north front, but more imposing having: central flight of stone steps sweeping up to full-height 15-pane sashe in architrave with attached Ionic columns, pulvinated frieze, dentilled cornice and blocking course linking it to blind balustraded apron panel of window above which has swept-shoulded, console-pedimented architrave. Partially-concealed basement windows; tall 15-pane sashes to ground floor; 1st and 2nd-floor windows as north front; lunette to pediment. Wings: round-arched sashes with glazing bars in stone-imposted, round-arched recess, right wing having central door and lead downpipe with boar's head to rainwater head. Pavi- lions as north front, but with large Venetian windows to ground floor. Tall brick wall extends to either side, on left with round-arched gateway and ramping down before returning a short way; on right with painted window, added C20 conservatory (not of special interest), and ramping down to conceal service range and continue at lower level with butresses. Interior: very finely- detailed contemporary interiors, including work by Cortese and Flitcroft; some of the features imported and some of the fireplaces from Normanby Park, Scunthorpe (house by Smirke, 1825-30). Six-panel mahogany doors, in architraves with decorated friezes above, elaborate panelling and cornices throughout. Entrance hall: chequered marble floor; fluted Composite columns with elaborate cornices; decorative plasterwork by Cortese to ceiling. Leading off hall, on left is small panelled room and on right small room with marble fireplace flanked by arched alcoves. Library (to rear centre): moulded chair rail and architraves; good imported marble fireplace with pilasters, double-ogee head and putti to keyblock; elaborate modillion cornice, rococco ceiling by Cortese with flower and fruit motifs. Morning room (to rear left): elaborate imported panelling by Flitcroft with fluted Ionic capitals supporting heavily-detailed cornice; decorative fireplace; eared architraves to picture panels with pulvi- nated bay leaf friezes and egg and dart cornices. Chinese Room (to rear right): Venetian window with acanthus-leaf capitals to fluted columns. Chinese wall- paper (of 1750-70 restored); elaborate ceiling cornice with palmettes and acanthus leaves; central rose oval to ceiling; elaborate, imported, marble fire- place with fluted Ionic pilasters, swags and paterae and urns to frieze; original fireplace, now in the late-C20 dining room has elaborate architrave with fluted Ionic columns paterae and swags to frieze, modillion cornice and swan-neck pediment on further columns. Stair: wooden, dog-leg open-string, with panelled soffits to treads, turned balusters on gadrooned bases (2 per tread), elaborate newel and spiral curtail to handrail; landing has tripartite window with lion's head below, cartouche above, swags and corbels; decorative coved ceiling with elaborate light fitting. 1st floor: raised and fielded panelling and moulded cornice to front right room; good basket-grate fireplace and modil- lion cornice to rear left room. Good closed-string dog-leg stair up to attic which has Elizabethan panelling in one room, probably reused from the Elizabethan house which preceded the present house. N Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The North Riding (1966) Sutton Park.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.