You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 441062  

Print Page



© Mr Michael J. A. Smith

IoE Number: 441062
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, BRABYNS BROW (north side)
  MARPLE, STOCKPORT, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Michael J. A. Smith
Date Photographed: 07 May 2001
Date listed: 11 October 1985
Date of last amendment: 11 October 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 98 NEMARPLEBRABYNS BROW(north-westside)Marple Bridge7/53Church of

SJ 98 NE MARPLE BRABYNS BROW (north-west side) Marple Bridge 7/53 Church of - St. Martin G.V. II Church. 1869-70 by J.D. Sedding, for Maria Anne Hudson. North chapel 1895-6 and aisle 1909 both by H. Wilson. Snecked stone with ashlar dressings and clay tile roof; timber-framed porch. Nave, chancel, porch, aisle and aisle chapel. 3-bay nave with projecting plinth, heavy weathered buttresses and a gabled timber-framed porch in bay 1. Windows are of 2 lights with geometric tracery, 2 of which are paired in bay 2. Coped gables and bellcote. 2-bay chancel with 5-light east window. Interior: nave arcade arches die into bold square columns. Wagon roof to nave, arch-braced trusses to chancel. Chapel apse has vault with trees and birds in relief. Inlaid altar table and communion rail (Wilson). Reredos (C. Whall). Statue of St. Christopher in a niche with marble surround. North windows by H. Bryams, chancel windows by Morris, others by C. Whall. Plaster relief of angels by Sedding. Art nouveau font cover with pierced metal sphere on an inlaid and carved lid. Generally an unpretentious exterior with a remarkably progressive interior.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.