© Mr Stewart Monk
THAMES TUNNEL, WAPPING HIGH STREET
POPLAR, TOWER HAMLETS, GREATER LONDON
Mr Stewart Monk
01 November 2006
24 March 1995
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The following building shall be added:
WAPPING HIGH STREET
636-/5/10086 Thames Tunnel
Underwater tunnel for human traffic. Begun 1825, completed 1843 by engineer Marc Isambard
Brunel with assistance from Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Brick bedded in Roman cement and faced
with clay tiles and stucco. 1,200ft long. Two parallel vaults of horseshoe section, 14ft wise by 16ft
high and joined at intervals by cross arches are encased in a rectangular brick framework 38ft wide
and 22ft high externally. At the end are access shafts 50ft across. Segmental arches separating the
two vaults 'rest' on Greek Doric half-columns with square abaci. Many arches have been filled in.
Stucco finish in 'ashlar' on top of red clay tile lining of tunnel.
HISTORY. Experimental attempts to construct a tunnel were made in 1805 by Robert Vazie and
again in 1808 by richard Trevithick. The present tunnel was constructed on a new line to a revised
scheme by Marc Brunel (1769-1849) using a tunnelling shield designed by him and patented in
1818. The tunnel was opened on 26 May 1843. It remained a foot tunnel until 1865-9 when it was
converted for the East London Railway. Later used by electric underground trains (East London