You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 441518  

Print Page



© Mrs Anne French

IoE Number: 441518
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE (north side)
  RATCLIFFE ON SOAR, RUSHCLIFFE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Anne French
Date Photographed: 18 August 2004
Date listed: 13 October 1966
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RATCLIFFE ON SOARCHURCH LANESK 42 NE(north side)3/52Church of HolyTrinity

RATCLIFFE ON SOAR CHURCH LANE SK 42 NE (north side) 3/52 Church of Holy Trinity 13.10.66 G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18, restored 1891. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble, some red brick. Lead and slate roofs. Parapets to nave, chancel and north aisle. Coped gables, single ridge cross to east chancel. Buttressed, apart from the tower. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, south porch, north chapel and chancel. C13 dressed coursed rubble tower with ashlar quoins, set on a splayed plinth with band over, of 3 stages with bands, corbel table and single corner pinnacles. Topped with early C14 broach spire with 2 tiers of 4 lucarnes. West side of the tower has a single C13 lancet with single similar smaller lancet above and 2 tie plates. North, south and west sides each with single C13 arched bell chamber openings, each opening with 2 pointed arched lights and hood mould. East bell chamber with single pointed arched light and hood mould, evidence of former nave roof. North aisle is on a low chamfered plinth with further chamfer extending under the sills. Projecting from the west wall is a single large stepped buttress. In the north wall is a blocked round arched doorway. To the left are 2 C18 round arched windows. Clerestory with 2 rectangular lights. The north wall of the chapel has a single small lancet with single smaller lancet in the east wall. The chancel is set on a low chamfered plinth and has in the east wall a single large C14 arched 4 light window with geometric tracery, hood mould and continuous sill band. The south wall has 3 pairs of C13 lancets. To the right of the left pair is a blocked chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. The south aisle is set on a chamfered plinth with moulded band extending over. The east wall has a single 3 light arched window with hood mould. The south wall has 2 C14 arched 3 light windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. There are 2 'S' tie plates. To the left is the gabled porch, set on a similar plinth, with double chamfered arched entrance and 2 'S' tie plates. Inner C14 moulded arched doorway with hood mould and C17 stud door. Sides of the porch with brick benches. The west wall of the aisle has a single pair of arched and cusped lights. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcades, hexgonal columns with moulded capitals, wide plinths, chamfered and moulded arches, hood mould with single label stop to south side. Responds consist of moulded capitals, that to the south east decorated with nail head and further supported on a carved human head. Double chamfered C13 tower arch, the outer order supported on colonnettes with shaft rings. Hood mould and single blocked opening over. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. North aisle/north chapel double chamfered arch, the north side fore-shortened, the south side supported on an octagonal respond with moulded capital. 2 bay chancel/chapel arcade with single circular column and octagonal responds with moulded capitals, double chamfered arches. South chancel with C14 tripartite arched and cusped sedilia arches supported on colonnettes with fillets. To the left is a single arched and cusped piscina. North chancel wall has a C14 moulded arched tomb recess arch supported on single colonnettes with fillets. Under the south west window of the chancel is an ashlar bench. South aisle, south wall has a pointed arched piscina. Chancel with C13 ashlar altar piece, altar rails with C17 turned balusters. South aisle with C17 carved altar table. Oak chest with some C17 carving. C14 octagonal ashlar font with C17 cover. Furthr C19 font, remaining furniture C19. The C15 nave, chancel and aisle roofs with chamfered beams, nave roof also with carved bosses. In the tower are the remains of 2 C13 ashlar coffins. In the nace, chancel and south aisle are a number of C18, C19 floor slabs. The south aisle also with worn C13 floor slab with incised carved figures. North aisle has 2 similar slabs, one of a C15 priest, the other of C16 male and female figures. The north chapel with several similar C15 and C16 slabs including one of a female figure. C13 floor slab in the chancel and further floor slab to Ann Darly, 1667. Against the south chancel wall is the alabaster monument to Henrie Sacheverell, d.l625. There is a recumbant figure of a kniight with head on a visor, the sides of the tomb decorated with shields and front with 3 figures of children flanked by inscriptions and decorative strips. Set into the wall above are the kneeling figures of his 3 wives, flanked by Corinthian columns supporting cornice. Over are 2 small panelled pilasters supporting a round arch with keystone, containing a shield of arms. Pilasters are flanked by decorative strapwork. Between chancel and chapel is the alabaster monument to Henrie and Jane Sacheverell, c.1590, the sides of the tomb are decorated with figures, shields and strapwork, and it is surmounted by 2 recumbant figures, he in the attire of a knight. The alabaster monument to Henry Sacheverell and his wife, 1558, is decorated around the sides with 17 figures holding blind shields. The tomb is surmounted by 2 recumbant figures, he in attire of a knight with feet on a dog. Set into the north wall of the chapel is an alabaster monument to Ralph Sacheverell and his wife, 1539, the sides of the tomb decorated with cusped lozenges containing blind shields, 2 recumbant figures and niche over. Reveal of niche decorated with carved figures set into cusped arches, further decorated with cusped blind tracery. Soffits also decorated with blind tracery.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.