© Mr Michael Perry
MASONIC HALL FORMERLY THEATRE, 12 OLD ORCHARD STREET
BATH, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Michael Perry
26 September 2004
12 June 1950
Date of last amendment:
11 August 1972
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
1. OLD ORCHARD STREET
(formerly listed as Masonic Hall,
Manvers Place) )
ST 7564 NW 19/99 12.6.50.
Old Bath Theatre begun in 1747. Architects: Hippesley and Watts, and
completed by John Powell 1750. Used as theatre till 1804, during which
time it was made famous by Mrs Siddons and other important actors and actresses
of the period. After the Beaufort Square Theatre was built, 1805, it became a
Roman Catholic Church and then Masonic Hall. Street elevation is the same as
when it was the Theatre except for position of the door. 3 storey, windows
with plain beaded architraves, Left hand side, 2 windows together. Cornice
and parapet. Doric pedimented doorway. Interior, stage remains, galleries
No 12 and Nos 16 to 20 (consec) Old Orchard Street, Nos 1 to 6 (consec) Pierrepont
Place, and St James's Portico, Pierrepont Street, form an important group.