You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 444462  

Print Page

© Mr Simon Braithwaite LRPS

IoE Number: 444462
Location: ST MARY'S CHURCH, CASTLE ROAD (south side)
Photographer: Mr Simon Braithwaite LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 March 2001
Date listed: 22 December 1953
Date of last amendment: 22 December 1953
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CASTLE.ROAD1605(South Side)St Mary's ChurchTA 0489 2/222.12.55.

CASTLE.ROAD 1. 1605 (South Side) St Mary's Church TA 0489 2/2 22.12.55. A 2. C12. Formerly a very large building with nave, double aisles, transepts and chancel, with 2 west and central towers. The Church was largely destroyed during the siege of the Castle in the C17. The Chancel and West towers except for lower stages no longer remain. Rebuilding and restoration took place in late C17 and again in mid C19, The building has the nave with aisles and a series of stone vaulted side chapels on the south side and a square tower at the East end, replacing the former central tower. The walls internally are almost covered with late C18 and early C19 wall monuments generally of good design and including one by Roubiliac to Elizabeth Craven. Many brass plates removed from stone tombs in Churchyard are also fixed to walls. The very large churchyard is crowded with tombs mainly of C18 and C19 including tomb of Anne Bronte near East end. The building stands high above the Old Fishing Port and more or less isolated on account of the gardens on the South side of the Churchyard. The effect is impressive and the open character of the surroundings are worthy of preservation.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.