You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 445014  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Tree

IoE Number: 445014
Location: ELM HOUSE, BURY ROAD (west side)
  LAWSHALL, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Peter Tree
Date Photographed: 19 July 2006
Date listed: 04 October 1995
Date of last amendment: 04 October 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 85 NE LAWSHALL BURY ROAD (West side) 922/2/10017 Elm House II House. c.1600 and early C17, in 2 phases, with C19 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered. Double-roll pantiled roofs with C17 brick ridge stacks (upper shafts rebuilt C19). 3-unit lobby-entry plan: the service end is of cross-wing form. 2 storeys. 3-window range in all of 3-light casements. Doorway with plank door and moulded cornice of c.1800 above. 2-bay cross-wing of c.1600. INTERIOR: of cross-wing: axial bridging beams with lambstongue-stopped chamfers, unchamfered broad joists laid flat. A blocked 3-light diamond mullion window in partition wall against later range. Open kitchen fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Walls of cross-wing raised by 0.5m in late C19 when the whole roof rebuilt. Main range: close studding (mainly concealed). Bridging beams to first floor and attic have lambstongue-stopped chamfers; in the hall ceiling the joists are similar and laid flat (initially exposed). In the parlour the joists are laid flat but are unchamfered (initially plastered). Open fireplaces with bressumers to hall and parlour. Several C17 plank doors. Straight-flight stair in the cross passage is probably C 19. Apart from the roof a little altered early C 17 house.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.