You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 447137  

Print Page



© Mr James Ryall LRPS

IoE Number: 447137
Location: THE PRIORY,
  BATH, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr James Ryall LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 September 2001
Date listed: 05 August 1975
Date of last amendment: 05 August 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.PRIOR PARK823The PrioryST 76 SE 4/1542

1. PRIOR PARK 823 The Priory ST 76 SE 4/1542 II* 2. Before 1742 as the plan and elevation appear on estate map of that year. Could very well be by John Wood I possibly continued by the Clerk of Works Richard Jones. Unusual early example of use of Gothic detail. (There was a monastic building on this site or near it). 2 storeys irregularly coursed rubble Originally with hipped roof, altered to gable end with saddlestones during C9 enlargement. North original entrance front: main part of 3 bays with deep centre break, formerly with entrance, crenellated parapet, Outer windows stone mullioned, 3 lights each with cusped pointed heads, dropped drip moulds. 2 light similar window 1st floor of break and new one ground floor replacing doorway - similar single light windows each side of break. Recessed one window bay to right hand, similar 3 light 1st floor window and C19 Gothicised French casement ground floor. The return to west gable end retaining original 2 storey crenellated bow with similar stone mullioned cusped headed lights. The house was doubled in depth mid C19 possibly at the same time as Bishop Baines's alterations for the college. Feature of stone mullioned windows continued with canted bays. Inside, in the C19 part, some reset Georgian panelling and eared architrave doorcases. The original pointed moulded arched entrance has been reset next to present Chapel.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.