You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 447140  

Print Page

© Mr James Ryall LRPS

IoE Number: 447140
Photographer: Mr James Ryall LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 September 2001
Date listed: 05 August 1975
Date of last amendment: 05 August 1975
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.PRIOR PARK823The Gymnasiumto north of North RoadST 7662 38/1545

1. PRIOR PARK 823 The Gymnasium to north of North Road ST 7662 38/1545 II* 2. Circa 1830-40, a structure probably associated with the foundation of Prior Park College by Bishop Barnes as it has the grandiose scale of his alterations. Apparently built as a gymnasium with a five's court forming an ashlar walled courtyard. The ashlar elevation facing this east side is of 2 storeys, grand, severe Greek Doric colonnade across whole ground floor, plat bands with recessed panel between, The 1st floor has rather Vanbrughian close set plainly pierced round arched windows, some blocked. Band cornice and parapet. The colonnade is open and the ground floor inside has an impressive ashlar barrel vault with screens of 2 Doric columns each end - staircases rising to 1st floor behind them. The 1st floor is divided into 3 rooms also barrel vaulted. Terrace roof. The west elevation is of one storey (sharp rise in ground level). Plain ashlar, with band cornice, pierced by 2 rectangular windows and in centre a pilastered Venetian window, side lights blind. Could this be a Goodridge design of the 1830's?

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.