You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 447308  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 447308
Location: SCARBOROUGH RAILWAY STATION, WESTBOROUGH (south side)
  SCARBOROUGH, SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 17 March 2001
Date listed: 08 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 08 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WESTBOROUGH1605(South Side)Scarborough RailwayStationTA 0388 3/364

WESTBOROUGH 1. 1605 (South Side) Scarborough Railway Station TA 0388 3/364 II The description shall be amended to read: 2. 1845 by G T Andrews. 3 2-bay single storey pedimented pavilions, recessed brick blocks of 9 windows. Ashlar with moulded cornice. Low slate roof. Achitrave surrounds to windows, panelled on pavilions with cornices over. console brackets to sills. The centre pavilion has 1882 addition of elaborate baroque clock tower with lead dome. Glazed roof added between pavilions over pavement. Projecting later 4 window office block added to west with architrave framed sashes. The east end of Station facing Valley Bridge Road is of 5 bays divided by rusticated piers, the frieze cornice and blocking course breaking forward over them. Moulded sill course. 3 architrave surround round headed large windows with fixed glazing bars and 2 doorways in similar surrounds, upper parts glazed as windows. The passenger train shed, comprising platforms 3, 4 and 5, retains the original G T Andrews roof structure, a unique survival for a station of this size. The wood and glass roof is supported by the walls and a central row of cast-iron columns with broad curved girders, light iron trusses carrying the roof structure across the two aisles so formed. The two adjacent sheds covering platforms 6, 7 and 8 respectively, were probably the original Andrews goods station. Nos 6 - 7 have a light iron truss roof structure carried on the flanking walls similar to the passenger shed and No 8 platform has a timber king post roof also carried on walls. On the wall of the former station buffet is a polychrome tile map of the North Eastern Railway network circa 1903, a particularly fine example of its kind. ------------------------------------ 1. WESTBOROUGH 1605 (South Side) Scarborough Railway Station TA 0388 3/364 II 2. 1845 by G T Andrews. 3 2-bay single storey pedimented pavilions, recessed brick blocks of 9 windows. Ashlar with moulded cornice. Low slate roof. Architrave surrounds to windows, panelled on pavilions with cornices over, console brackets to sills. The centre pavilion has 1882 addition of elaborate Baroque clock tower with lead dome. Glazed roof added between pavilions over pavement. Projecting later 4 window office block added to west with architrave framed sashes, The east end of station facing Valley Bridge Road is of 5 bays divided by rusticated piers, the frieze cornice and blocking course breaking forward over them. Moulded sill course 3 architrave surround round headed large windows with fixed glazing bars and 2 doorways in similar surrounds, upper parts glazed as windows.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.