You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 448656  

Print Page



© Sir George Pollock HFRPS,FBIPP,EFIAP

IoE Number: 448656
Location: COMBE DOWN JUNIOR SCHOOL, CHURCH ROAD
  BATH, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Sir George Pollock HFRPS,FBIPP,EFIAP
Date Photographed: 05 May 2001
Date listed: 05 December 1990
Date of last amendment: 05 December 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the list:ST 7662COMBE DOWNCHURCH ROAD38/1130Combe Down

The following building shall be added to the list: ST 7662 COMBE DOWN CHURCH ROAD 38/1130 Combe Down Junior School GV II School. 1840, enlarged in 1887 and circa 1900. Bathstone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone-coped gable ends with ashlar stacks. Plan: The original building, the west front range, consisted of the school master's house on the ground and first floors with the school room above on the second floor. In 1887 a large single storey schoolroom wing (now assembly hall) was built at the back (east) and in circa 1900 a further school room was built on the south side of the rear wing. Gothic style. Exterior: 3 storey front range with 2 window west front. On the first floor 2 large windows,each with group of 4 cusped lancets and a square window between. Similar but 2 and 3-light windows on second floor in asymmetrical gables. The ground floor has 4 plain windows and doorway at centre with shouldered head. 2-light lancets on second floor of either gable end. Conical metal ventilator on ridge. North elevation (left return) of rear wing has 2 and 3-light stone mullion windows,and gable with pinnacle (stack) on left and large gothic window with 4 lancets and quatrefoil above. Similar 2-light window and gabled porch with shouldered head on east gable end. On south side of wing circa 1900 school room with gable-ended roof with stone finials and conical metal ventilator on ridge. Memorial tablet on north elevation to Rev William Batchellor, died 1856. Interior: The school room on the second floor of the original west front range is open to the roof but the hammer beam trusses are boxed in. The dogleg staircase has stick balusters and turned newels. The school room-assembly hall in rear wing is divided by folding sliding partition and is open to the roof, cross-gabled at the centre. Source: Kelly's Directory, Somersetshire 1910, page 214.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.