You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 455105  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 455105
Location: ABBEYDALE PICTURE HOUSE, 387 ABBEYDALE ROAD (east side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 17 April 2006
Date listed: 24 August 1989
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELD SK38SW ABBEYDALE ROAD 784-1/9/4 (East side) 24/08/89 No.387 Abbeydale Picture House (Formerly Listed as: ABBEYDALE ROAD The Abbeydale Picture House (A & F Drake Ltd)) II Cinema, now a showroom. 1920 with late C20 alterations. Designed by Dixon and Shenley of North Shields. Steel framed with white faience tile cladding and a slate roof. EXTERIOR: north-west street front, 7 bays, with 5 doorways on the ground floor, mostly now glazed, 3 with moulded surrounds with double keystones. The upper floor is articulated with 8, partly fluted Ionic pilasters with a linking entablature above. The first and sixth bays have square openings with moulded surrounds and double keystones plus a panel below, the remaining bays have oval openings with double keystones and wreaths plus square panels below. Above a panelled parapet. The curved northern entrance corner has 2 large shop windows, with above 3 round-headed windows with moulded surrounds and double keystones. Above an entablature and 2 small square attic windows, the parapet is topped by an open balustrade. Above again and set back is a circular turret with 3 light windows and squat Ionic pilasters between, topped by a leaded dome. The north-west front has 6 narrow bays with a 2 storey basement with irregular window openings and a doorway to the left. Above the main floor has a central double window, flanked by 2 single windows with plain surrounds and single keystones. To the right a single and to the left 2 square windows with moulded surrounds and double keystones. This floor articulated with partly fluted Ionic pilasters, the central 2 reduced to capitals only. Above the 3 central bays have round-headed windows, the central one double, with plain surrounds and keystones, the attic topped by a segmental pediment. INTERIOR: retains much of its original Classical style decoration, with fine doorcases and panels to the foyer. The auditorium has single curved balcony supported on square piers, with oval reliefs in panels behind. The decoration survives well, though the auditorium is now divided. This cinema was built for the Abbeydale Picture House Ltd and opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield on 20th December 1920, it closed as a cinema on 5th July 1975.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.