You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 455878  

Print Page

© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 455878
Location: BISHOPS HOUSE, NORTON LEES LANE (north side)
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 April 2001
Date listed: 01 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SHEFFIELD SK38SE NORTON LEES LANE 784-1/10/558 (North side) 01/05/52 Bishop's House II* Farmhouse, now museum. c1500, the west wing rebuilt c1550; floor inserted into open hall c1627; west wing extended and stone plinth inserted c1650. Altered c1753, restored c1886, restored and converted 1974-76. Timber-framing with rendered nogging, coursed rubble, squared dressed stone, with stone slate roof. Single side wall and gable stacks with double lozenge shaped flues, and single ridge stack, all C19. L-plan. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 3 window range. South front, with herringbone framing, has to left a projecting gabled wing with coved eaves and C19 patterned bargeboard and finial. 6-light coved oriel window with wooden mullions and leaded glazing, and below it, a similar 6-light cross mullioned window. Hall range, to right, 6 bays, has 2 coved oriel windows, 3 and 2 lights. Below, 2 wood mullioned windows, 4 and 3 lights, flanked by single doors. Left return, to west, has to right 2 bays of close studding with diagonal braces. Single 3-light casement to left. Below, 2 mullioned windows, 2 and 3 lights, with drip moulds. To left, single bay stone addition has a 3-light stone mullioned window and below, a 2-light casement with drip mould and a C20 door. North side has projecting stone right wing with a single window to left between floors, and above, to left, a 2-light mullioned window and a single window. On the ground floor, a 2-light mullioned window. Left return has, to left, a single window. Range to left has herringbone framing and to left, a single window with wooden mullions and to right, a 3-light leaded window. Below, a blocked doorway flanked to left by a 2-light cross casement and to right by a plank door. East gable has herringbone framing and coved eaves, and a coved oriel window, 5 lights. INTERIOR retains most of the timber framing. King post truss roof with single purlins, wind braces, and struts to the ridge. Stud partitions, one with arch braces, and wattle and daub infill to gable. Late C17 oak dogleg stair with splat balusters. Parlour has cross beam plaster ceiling and plain chamfered fireplace, c1627. Lower hall has moulded beams and joists and a panelled wall dated 1627. Plain stone fireplace, early C17. Chamber over parlour has cleft floorboards and moulded plaster frieze over fireplace, c1627. North chamber of west wing has fireplace with plaster overmantel c1650. Five fielded 6-panel doors and 3 plank doors. HISTORICAL NOTE: from c1627 to 1753, the house belonged to the Blythe family, notable as large scale scythe manufacturers, and from the late C17 as Nonconformist ministers. The alterations between 1627 and c1650 were carried out by William Blythe and his son of the same name. This house is one of the 3 surviving timber-framed structures in Sheffield. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 474; Bishop's House: Beswick Pauline: Sheffield: 1981-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.