You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 455883  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 455883
Location: HAMMERTON SCHOOL, OUSEBURN ROAD
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 August 2002
Date listed: 12 December 1995
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NEOUSEBURN ROAD784-1/6/563(North West side)

SHEFFIELD SK38NE OUSEBURN ROAD 784-1/6/563 (North West side) Kettlebridge Nursery First School GV II Formerly known as: Hammerton School OUSEBURN ROAD. Board school, now nursery first school. 1904, with mid C20 additions. By WJ Hale. For the Sheffield School Board. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and gables and hipped slate roofs. Arts and Crafts style. EXTERIOR: coped gables. The heads of the buttresses, and the central gable, have wreathed cartouches inscribed with inspirational words. Single and 2 storeys; 7 x 3 windows. Central hall with clerestory, flanked by towers, and enclosed on all sides by lower gabled ranges. Street front has in the centre 3 projecting gables, the central one with a segment-headed 2-light casement with elongated keystone, flanked by single flat-headed lights. Outer gables have large segment-headed 4-light windows with elongated keystones, and are flanked by square buttresses with corniced flat caps. Beyond, on either side, set back gable of the entrance wing, with buttressed gable stack. 2 segment-headed windows with raised surrounds and keystones, and below, a small round-arched window flanked by 2 small casements. Above and behind, the central hall has hipped roof with finials and continuous clerestory windows. At each end of the hall, a rectangular tower, 2 stages, with a single narrow opening on the longer sides. Above the cornice, louvred bell openings, with deep flat ledges above them. 4 square pinnacles topped with square domes, and swept lead roof with tall finials. Right tower has a taller external coped stack at the rear. Right return has entrance block to left. Double entrance bay to right, with 3 buttresses, and between them, single gabled dormers with segment-headed casements and elongated keystones. Below, projecting entrance with bow fronted cornice and keystone, plain opening and recessed door. To left, corniced stone bow window with 3 lights divided by squat Doric columns. To right, a set back gable with segment-headed central window with keystone, flanked by smaller lights. Left return, of the same design, has mid C20 wooden canopy linking doorway with detached addition. Rear elevation has 2 buttressed gables with segment-headed 4-light windows, flanked by flat-headed tripartite windows with stone mullions. Buttressed end gables have a segment-headed window. INTERIOR not inspected. WJ Hale, 1862-1929, designed a number of noteworthy schools and Nonconformist churches in Sheffield between 1893 and 1929. This is arguably his best building and one of the least altered. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.