You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456249  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456249
Location: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATES, CHURCH STREET (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 01 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3587NWCHURCH STREET784-1/19/172(North side)

SHEFFIELD SK3587NW CHURCH STREET 784-1/19/172 (North side) 01/05/52 Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul and attached walls and gates GV I Parish church, raised to cathedral status 1914. Crossing tower, spire, chancel and chancel chapels c1430. Shrewsbury chapel 1520. North chancel chapel remodelled as vestries 1777 by Thomas Atkinson, and converted to a chapel 1914. Nave and east end reconstructed 1790-1805, allegedly by John Carr. Nave extended and transepts added 1810. Restored 1841 by Robert Potter. Transepts, nave arcade and west end, and east windows remodelled and restored 1880, by William Flockton. Chapter house, offices, and Chapel of Holy Spirit 1936-48, by Sir Charles Nicholson. Narthex, link and west end 1960-66 by GG Pace and Ansell & Bailey. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. Pre-1880 parts in Perpendicular style. Nicholson additions in Decorated style. 1960s additions in Free Gothic style. PLAN: chancel with side chapels, crossing tower with spire, transepts, nave with clerestory and aisles, baptistry and narthex, north-west chapels, chapter house, vestries and offices. EXTERIOR: chancel, chapels, transepts, nave and aisles have moulded plinths, buttresses, those to the chancel and chapels topped with pinnacles, moulded eaves bands and crenellated parapets. East end has 3 late Decorated 4-light pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds. Side chapels have three 3-light double transomed pointed arch windows with panel tracery. South transept has a 5-light Decorated, pointed arch window to south and a 3-light pointed arch window to east and west. North transept has to east a 5-light gabled headed, pointed arch window with panel tracery, and its north gable extended by an organ chamber, c1936, with plain coped parapet and to east, the head of a C19 5-light Decorated pointed arch window, with below it a pointed door and a flat-headed lancet. Its north gable has 3 lancets. To west of the organ chamber, an extension of the transept, with a 4-light Decorated pointed arch window. South aisle has four 3-light double transomed pointed arch windows with panel tracery. North aisle has a similar window, to the west of the St George's Chapel. Crossing tower, 2 stages, has to south 2 square headed windows with a sundial between them. Bell stage has on each side a transomed 4-light traceried bell opening with hoodmould. Below the south one, a clock. Setback octagonal broach spire with crockets. Nave has five 2-light pointed arch windows on each side of the clerestory. West end and narthex tower have flat square topped buttresses at angles and to each bay. West end has projecting centre with three 2-light windows, flanked on each side by 2 similar windows. South side has windowless 3-bay corridor to the Narthex tower. Buttressed square narthex tower, 3 stages, has a triple opening on 3 sides with louvred panels above them. Windowless upper stages are successively smaller. North side has a single bay projection with a C19 6-light Decorated pointed arch window with moulded surround. North side Chapel of St George, buttressed and in a similar style to the west end, has to west four 2-light windows and to their left, a projection with a transomed 3-light window to a transverse passage between this chapel and the Chapel of the Holy Spirit. To the west of the chapel, at a lower level, a late C20 flat-roofed single storey concrete meeting room with 6 pointed arched windows and concrete canopied porch to its left. Chapel of the Holy Spirit has moulded plinth and heavy gabled buttresses, 2 setoffs, and moulded coped parapet. On either side, 4 tall 2-light pointed arch windows with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds. North gable has a 5-light Decorated pointed arch window. On the north side of the chancel, a single storey Church Burgesses room in the style of a C15 chantry chapel, with buttresses, moulded plinth and crenellated parapet. To east, 2 flat-headed double lancets, flanked to left by a recessed pointed doorway with hoodmould. North side has a 4-light and a 3-light flat-headed lancet. To north again, a 2-storey range of vestries, c1936, with ground floor lintel band and linked hoodmoulds above, forming a corridor to the chapter house. 4 double lancets with slight Y-tracery and below, a 3-light mullioned window flanked to left by two 2-light windows and to right by a single one. Buttressed Chapter House, c1936, has deep plinth, moulded coped parapet and flat roof. 3 x 2 bays. Untraceried 2-light pointed arch windows are set in recessed panels between buttresses, and above each window is a pointed loop. South side has a single window, to east. North side has to west, steps to a buttressed flat-roofed porch with moulded segmental pointed door. To its right, a set back single storey vestry with a 2-light mullioned window. To right, between the vestry and the adjoining chapel, a single storey flat-roofed late C20 addition with single window and glazed double door. INTERIOR: chancel has 2 double chamfered arches on each side, with octagonal piers and responds. East window with moulded surround and hoodmould, and above it, a small 2-light window. To north-east, a restored cusped 4-seat sedilia, with aumbry in eastern opening. Restored steep pitched hammer beam roof with arch braces and gilt angel bosses. Shrewsbury Chapel, to south, has double chamfered west arch and a similar lower pitched roof with moulded timbers and gilt bosses. North side has a piscina and a canopied table tomb. South side has 3 stained glass windows. North chancel chapel (St Katharine) has similar roof and 2 stained glass windows. South-east side has a blocked opening and a C13 cusped piscina. To west, arches into the chancel. Crossing has 4 clustered piers and triple coved and roll moulded arches with hoodmoulds, c1430. South transept has low pitched roof and stained glass south window, c1876. North transept has low pitched roof with bosses and to east, a double chamfered arch and C20 carved wooden screen, into north chancel chapel. North end has late C20 ceiling and to east, a moulded doorway to the sacristy. To its right, a chamfered double arch to the organ chamber, then an altered window, now a doorway. Passage at south-east end has a chamfered arch to the organ chamber, and to east, a doorway and a stained glass window, 1938. Nave has 5 bay arcades with narrower eastern bays, and C20 west piers. Plain octagonal piers with crenellated capitals, chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, and shields in the spandrels. Low pitched panelled ceiling with bosses and billeted span beams. Western crossing has flattened pointed chamfered arches with chamfered quatrefoil piers, and a stained glass roof lantern, all c1960. West end baptistry has a single moulded arch with responds to north and south. Passage to narthex has glazed screen and doors. Aisles have double purlin lean-to roofs with bosses, and chamfered eastern arches. North aisle north-west end has a 3 bay C20 arcade to St George's Chapel, and a single C20 arch flanking it to east. St George's Chapel has panelled flat ceiling with gilt bosses. North end has a moulded C13 style triple arcade with billeted arches and clustered chamfered piers without capitals. Cross passage, to north, has on the south side a square window flanked to left by a small double window and to right by a pointed window and a doorway, all mid C20, into a 3 x 3 bay vaulted C20 columbarium. On the north side, a mid C20 5 bay arcade with double chamfered arches, the outer ones blank. Larger central bay has a moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and angel bosses, under a square stepped gable. Linenfold panelled double doors. On either side, similar single doors. Chapel of the Holy Spirit has 3 bay vault with moulded ribs and bosses and clustered round wall shafts. East end has a moulded segment-arched aumbry to north and a Decorated style piscina to south. Perpendicular style screen at west end, and canopied oak stalls on each side, by Comper, removed from Burgh, Lincs. MEMORIALS include a chest tomb under a flat topped panelled arch with billeted crest, between the chancel and the south chapel, 1538, to the 4th earl of Shrewsbury. Tomb chest with twisted corner shafts and shields in quatrefoils, with triple alabaster effigy. Monument to 6th Earl, 1590, on south chapel wall, with panelled base and flanking columns carrying a large crested achievement. Life size painted reclining effigy and panel with Latin inscription by John Fox. Large draped obelisk with scroll, bust and sarcophagus bracket, to George Bamforth, 1739. In the chancel, a cusped triple blind arcade with a central tablet and bust by Chantrey to Rev. James Wilkinson, 1805. Bust on chamfered base with standing allegorical figures flanking the inscription, to Rev. A Mackenzie, 1818, and tablet with seated allegorical figure in front of 2 urns, with profile portraits, to Thomas and Elizabeth Harrison, 1823, also by Chantrey. Portrait medallion, 1828, and bust 1832, by Edward Law. Bust of Archdeacon Blakeney, 1896, by Onslow Ford. Marble and alabaster tablet with portrait, 1916, to W Sterndale Bennet, d.1875. Freestanding late C19 war memorial with standing figures, and alabaster war memorial tablet c1920. STAINED GLASS includes C14 north transept north window, removed from Church of St Luke, Hollis Croft. East and west windows, 1880-81, and south aisle windows 1884-88 by WE Dixon. North chancel chapel east window, 1935, and Chapel of the Holy Spirit east window, 1940, by Christopher Webb. FITTINGS include C15 canopied oak sedilia with traceried panels. Restored C16 altar slab, with C20 octagonal posts and wooden reredos. North chancel Chapel screen, 1935, by WH Randall Blacking, bishop's throne, 1937 by Sir Charles Nicholson, traceried octagonal oak pulpit, 1887, and round granite font with bronze supports, 1881. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, a late C19 boundary wall with chamfered coping, bordering Campo Lane and East Parade. North side has a pair of square gate piers topped with globe lamps, with splayed screen walls, wrought-iron gate and overthrow, to the Chapter House north porch. To left and right, a plain vehicle entrance. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 450-451; Sheffield Cathedral Guide: Rev. ID Neill: Sheffield: 1974-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.