You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456276  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456276
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, RANMOOR PARK ROAD (east side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 December 2000
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NWRANMOOR PARK ROAD784-1/5/613(East side)

SHEFFIELD SK38NW RANMOOR PARK ROAD 784-1/5/613 (East side) 28/06/73 Church of St John II* Parish church. South-west tower and spire 1879, by EM Gibbs. Remainder 1887, by Flockton & Gibbs, following the destruction of the earlier church by fire. North-east vestry c1900. Restored 1973. Reredos, carving and architectural sculpture by Frank Tory. Rock-faced Ancaster stone with ashlar dressings and steep pitched slate and lead roofs. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: apsidal chancel, transepts, vestry, nave with clerestory and aisles, narthex, baptistry, north-west porch, south-west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband, corbel table, shouldered coped gables with crosses, gabled buttresses. Pointed arch windows throughout. Chancel has central 3-light window flanked by two similar 2-light windows, with geometrical tracery and linked hoodmoulds. Transepts have 3-light windows lancets with wheel windows above, and on their east sides, 2-light windows, that to north partly covered by the vestry. Single storey vestry has five 2-light windows to north and a double door and 2-light window to east. 5 bay nave has five pairs of 2-light clerestory windows on each side. West gable has a wheel window with a small graduated lancet above it. Below, canted baptistry with 3 lancets, flanked on each side by a 2-light window. On either side, a buttressed octagonal turret topped with a spire. Aisles have five 2-light windows, 2 to north-east partly covered by vestry. North aisle also has a stone side wall stack. North-west porch has a wheel window and below it, a glazed double door. 3 stage south-west tower has string courses and 4 pinnacles. Heavily moulded south doorway under a traceried gable. Returns have single lancets. Second stage has a 3-light blind arcade on each side, with shafts and linked hoodmould. Bell stage has a traceried 2-light opening on each side, under small gables. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes and weathercock. INTERIOR: has painted vault to chancel with moulded wooden ribs and wall shafts, and roll moulded arch with triple shafts and hoodmould. Cusped blind arcade on all sides, with sedilia on each side and triple gabled canopy to high-relief alabaster reredos. Transepts have painted single bay vaults. North transept contains organ. South transept has similar arch with round central pier and double inner arch with quatrefoil in spandrel, and traceried wooden screen. Above the transept arches, a 5 bay graduated blind arcade. Nave has 5 bay arcades with round piers, foliate capitals and moulded arches. Triforium with 4 arches in each bay, the bays defined by ringed shafts. Arch braced principal rafter roof with wall shafts and traceried spandrels and ceiling with painted panels. West end has a large central arch flanked by single smaller arches, with triforium and wheel window above. Aisles have moulded arches to west and arch braced roofs with wall shafts and traceried spandrels. South aisle has moulded eastern arch into transept. North aisle has double doorway to vestry and moulded east arch containing organ. Narthex has moulded arch at each end and arch braced roof with panelled ceiling, traceried spandrels and wall shafts. Baptistry has moulded arch and rib vault with shafts between the windows. Tower porch has double chamfered doorway with hoodmould. Both porches have panelled ceilings and glazed double doors. FITTINGS include stained glass by Heaton Butler & Bayne, Clayton & Bell, WF Dixon, Powell Bros. of Leeds and Victor Milner of London. Ornate ashlar and marble font with cusped arcaded pedestal and spire cover. Square traceried oak pulpit on clustered ashlar pier with marble shafts. Double sided brass eagle lectern with buttressed twisted shaft, 1892. Traceried stalls and benches, some with fleur-de-lys finials. Brass war memorial, 1918. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 458; Victorian Society Northern Architectural Adviser: letter: 1990-; The First Hundred Years (centenary pamphlet): Rev G Needham: Sheffield: 1979-; Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.