You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456363  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456363
Location: ST MICHAELS CEMETERY CHAPEL, RIVELIN VALLEY ROAD (south east side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 February 2001
Date listed: 10 December 1984
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELD SK38NW RIVELIN VALLEY ROAD 784-1/5/627 (South East side) 10/12/84 St Michael's Cemetery Chapel (Formerly Listed as: RIVELIN GLEN St Michael's Cemetery Chapel) GV II Roman Catholic cemetery chapel. 1877-78. By Charles Hadfield. Paid for by GH Foster, whose monument (qv) is outside the west door. Coursed squared stone (Greenmoor) with ashlar dressings (Worrall) and plain tile roof. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: nave with apsidal east end, south-west porch and north-west vestry. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, sillband, quoins, coped gables to nave and porch. 5 bay nave has 4 single lancets on each side and 3 in the apse. West gable has a moulded and gabled door and above it, a 2-light pointed arch window with trefoil tracery, set between prominent buttresses which support the chamfered, gabled single bellcote. Porch has a pointed doorway with hoodmould and above it, a niche with a figure of St Michael. Vestry has a 2-light pointed arch window in its gable and a side wall stack with double round shafts. INTERIOR: has wagon roof with moulded wall plate. Chamfered doorways. East end has polished marble sanctuary wall and altar with alabaster figure of the dead Christ below the mensa by Hadfield, sculpted by RL Bouton of Cheltenham. East end glazing, 1878, designed by JF Bentley, executed by Lavers, Barrand & Westlake. Rood, west window and chancel paintings and decorations by NHJ Westlake, 1884. Stations of the Cross by Hadfield and Bouton. GH Foster also donated the fittings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.