You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456475  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456475
Location: THE TOWERS AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, SANDYGATE ROAD (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 January 2001
Date listed: 01 March 1991
Date of last amendment: 01 March 1991
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NWSANDYGATE ROAD784-1/5/641(North side)

SHEFFIELD SK38NW SANDYGATE ROAD 784-1/5/641 (North side) 01/03/91 The Towers and attached garden wall II Small country house and attached garden wall. 1896, with additions 1905. For Mr Levy. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Scottish Baronial style. EXTERIOR: 2 corner, 2 gable and 2 ridge stacks. Continuous first floor band, moulded ashlar eaves. All windows have plain sashes in moulded ashlar surrounds. 3 storeys plus attics. South-west garden front, 2 storeys over deep basement. 5 bay front with recessed 3 bay centre, with terrace approached by bridge and steps. 3 windows, and below, a central glazed doorway flanked by single larger windows. On either side, single bay projecting wings with crowstep gables. Above, single windows, and below, canted bay windows with 3 sashes. Right wing has round corner bartizans with conical roof. Left wing has a similar bartizan to left, and a tall square stack to right. North-west front has a single storey addition with battlemented parapet and a central 5-light bow window with hexagonal leaded panes. Above, a 2-storey wing with a crowstep gable. Another battlemented 5-light bow window and above, 2 windows. Above again, a single window. Irregular north-east front has to right a circular tower, 2 stages, with moulded battlements and conical roof. 3 windows on each floor, the upper ones smaller. Off-centre, slightly projecting entrance wing, 2 bays, with crowstep gable and large gabled timber-framed porch with double doors and leaded glazing. To its left, a small window, and above, to right, a single window with strapwork hood. Above again, to left, a tall stair window, and to right, a smaller window. To the left of the porch, a short semicircular tower, 2 stages, with crenellated parapet. On the first floor, a coat of arms in a pedimented surround with columns, flanked by single windows with cornices linked to the pediment. Below, a 2-light window. At the east corner, a tall square battlemented tower, 5 stages, with a taller attached circular stair turret with conical roof. North-east face has a canted 2 storey oriel window to the upper floors. South-east face has a single second floor window with tympanum, and above it, a C20 window. Above again, a smaller window. Below, a 2 storey canted bay window with battlemented parapet and 3 lights on each floor. South-east front has recessed central bay with a 4-centred arched door, and above it, a pair of tall windows. Above again, a smaller window. To left, a projecting curved wing with crowstep gable and central external stack, flanked by small curved windows on the 2 upper floors. Attached to the south, a serpentine stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, adjoining a single storey round tower with battlements and a blind crosslet. Beyond the tower, concave faced curved garden wall with 2 half-round battlemented towers. INTERIOR retains much of its original decoration, including a panelled entrance hall. Most of the original doors, doorcases, skirting, coving and fireplaces survive. The upper floors have coved strapwork plaster ceilings.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.