You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456584  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456584
Location: ROMAN CATHOLIC MORTUARY CHAPEL AT CITY ROAD CEMETERY, CITY ROAD (east off)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 September 2001
Date listed: 12 December 1995
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NECITY ROAD784-1/6/180(East side (off))

SHEFFIELD SK38NE CITY ROAD 784-1/6/180 (East side (off)) Roman Catholic mortuary chapel at City Road Cemetery GV II Roman Catholic mortuary chapel of St Michael. 1898-1900. By C Hadfield, paid for by the Duke of Norfolk. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. Chancel with lantern, sacristy, nave and west porch. EXTERIOR: plinth, sillband and buttresses. Hexagonal chancel has 2 single lancets on the north and south sides, and is topped with an hexagonal lantern with a larger single lancet on 5 sides, and a round-arched trefoil window to west. Chancel and lantern have hipped roofs, the lantern topped with a cross. Single storey square sacristy has coped parapet and a large square external corner stack with an octagonal flue. Single windows to north and east, and stone doorcase to south, all blocked. Nave has coped west gable with finial. 3 single lancets on each side, and in the west gable, a graduated triple lancet. Central west porch has similar coped gable and finial with moulded round-arched double door. INTERIOR has a hexagonal arcade under the lantern, with moulded pointed arches and hoodmoulds. Above the west arch, a round window. East end has a moulded segmental pointed recess. Nave has a lath and plaster groin vault with moulded wooden ribs and tie beams. West end has a round cornered chamfered doorway with double doors. Building vacant at time of survey. (150 Years of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell, Davidson: Sheffield: 1984-: 71).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.