You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456676  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456676
Location: SHEFFIELD UNITED GAS LIGHT COMPANY OFFICES, COMMERCIAL STREET (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 20 October 2002
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3587NECOMMERCIAL STREET784-1/20/221(North side)

SHEFFIELD SK3587NE COMMERCIAL STREET 784-1/20/221 (North side) 28/06/73 Sheffield United Gas Light Co. offices II* Includes: No.19 SHUDE HILL. Offices. 1875, with addition dated 1890, restored and subdivided 1989. By ME Hadfield & Son, with domed General Office by JF Bentley, carving by Thomas Earp, and Board Room ceiling by Hugh Stannus. For the Sheffield United Gas Light Company. Ashlar and brick with slate mansard roof and 2 coped ridge and 3 side wall stacks. Italian Renaissance Revival style. EXTERIOR: intermediate and dentilled main cornices with breaks, low coped parapet with pedestals and square corner pinnacles topped with spires. 2 storeys plus attics; 7 x 6 windows. Front has round-arched windows, unglazed at time of survey. First floor has 3 central bays divided by paired granite Corinthian columns, and the outer bays articulated by paired Corinthian pilasters. Central window has paired flanking pilasters supporting a segmental pediment. On either side, 2 windows with gabled pediments, then single windows with segmental pediments. Above, large central dormer with dentilled pediment containing crest, and 3 small windows divided by pilasters. On either side, 3 single light dormers with segmental pediments. Ground floor, articulated in the same way as the first floor, has rusticated quoins and 6 windows, the central and outer ones with panelled surrounds. All the windows have their openings deepened at the foot. In the sixth bay, a round-arched doorway with steps, flanked by Atlantes on pedestals, supporting a segmental pediment. Right return, 2 windows, has similar fenestration. Rusticated 2 storey basement with 2 segmental pedimented windows, the left one altered to a door, and above them, 2 plain windows. To right, a lower block, single storey above 2 storey basement, with panelled attic. 4 round-arched windows. Basement has 4 segmental pedimented windows, the right one altered to a door, and above them, 4 plain windows. To right again, addition dated 1890, brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 3 storeys plus basement; 16 window range, the bays divided by brick pilasters. Regular fenestration, with segment-headed first floor windows and round-arched windows above, all with keystones. Painted ground floor has central segment-arched door flanked by 6 segment-headed windows. Single entrance bay, to left, has a round-arched window on each floor and below, a segment-arched cart opening. INTERIOR is said to contain glazed dome to General Office, and important decorative works by Earp and Stannus. In course of restoration with windows mainly unglazed at time of survey. (150 Years of Architectural Drawing: Hadfield, Cawkwell, Davidson: Sheffield: 1984-: 63).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.