You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456682  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456682
Location: WESLEY HALL, CROOKES (south west side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 11 January 2001
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NWCROOKES784-1/5/230(South West side)

SHEFFIELD SK38NW CROOKES 784-1/5/230 (South West side) 28/06/73 Wesley Hall II Methodist church and Sunday school. 1907, converted late C20. By WJ Hale. Squared dressed stone with ashlar dressings and pyramidal slate roof topped with a traceried wooden lantern. Arts and Crafts version of Perpendicular Gothic style. PLAN: octagonal main block with radial wings flanking the porch, shallow apsidal chancel and attached vestry and Sunday school. EXTERIOR: main block has heavy battered square angle buttresses with stepped caps and shaped coped parapet. Above the porch, a segment-headed 7-light lancet with traceried transom and 2 chamfered mullions. Left side has 2 similar windows. Below the right one, a 2-light mullioned window flanked by single light windows. Below the left one, a single storey cross-gabled vestry with 3 small square windows. Entrance porch has octagonal flanking buttresses with panelled tops and pyramidal caps and coped parapet with mask corbels. Moulded segment-arched doorway with triple doors and traceried overlight. On either side, a buttressed link with a doorway. Beyond, single wings with coped gables with square clasping buttresses. Each has a moulded segment-headed recess with a 2-light mullioned window with traceried transom. 2 storey gabled chancel has clasping buttresses. On either side, a traceried single lancet and below, 4 casements. To left, a 2 storey link building with a canted wooden oriel window to left and a small plain sash to right. Below, a recessed doorway. To left again, 2 storey gabled Sunday school range. INTERIOR has a half-round arch to the chancel, with a choir gallery. All-round panelled gallery with square wooden posts. Each bay has a segmental arch with extended keystone. Shallow domed ceiling. WJ Hale, 1862-c1929, was a pupil of Innocent & Brown before establishing his own practice in Sheffield in 1893. He designed a number of noteworthy schools and Nonconformist churches. (Who's Who in Arcitecture, 1914; The Architect: July 19th, 1907).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.