You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456819  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456819
Location: TAPTON HALL AND ATTACHED TERRACE WALL, SHORE LANE (west off)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 11 January 2001
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38NWSHORE LANE784-1/5/663(West side (off))

SHEFFIELD SK38NW SHORE LANE 784-1/5/663 (West side (off)) 28/06/73 Tapton Hall and attached terrace wall II House, now masonic hall and attached terrace wall. 1855, with alterations and addition 1967. For Edward Vickers. Ashlar with hipped slate roof and 6 coped stone ridge stacks. Classical style. EXTERIOR: textured rusticated plinth, rusticated quoins, first floor and sillbands, modillion eaves cornice, coped balustrade. 2 storeys; 3 x 3 windows. Windows are plain sashes, the ground floor ones corniced. Eastern entrance front has a central 2 storey square porch with a sash with cornice and moulded surround, flanked by single sashes with pseudo balustrades. Moulded round-headed doorcase with glazed double door and fanlight, flanked by single sashes. Southern garden front has a projecting centre with a 2 storey bow window with 3 sashes on each floor, the upper ones with pseudo balustrades. On either side, single sashes, the lower ones with cornices. Rear has to right, 4 sashes on each floor. To left, a set back bay with a single sash on each floor. INTERIOR has stairwell with moulded segmental arches, modillion cornice and rooflight, with L-plan cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balusters and newels. Landing has a round-arched arcade. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, a rusticated vermiculated terrace wall with moulded coping and to west, a rounded corner with semicircular steps. Small intermediate piers with C20 lights. Edward Vickers was one of the most prominent steel manufacturers in C19 Sheffield. From 1867 to 1967, the house was the home of the Wilson family, snuff manufacturers.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.