You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456854  

Print Page

© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 456854
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 20 May 2001
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SHEFFIELD SK38NW SPRINGVALE ROAD 784-1/5/671 (North side) 28/06/73 Crookes Congregational Church and attached hall and railings II Congregational church, undergoing conversion to offices. Dated 1906. By WJ Hale. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings with gabled and octagonal pyramidal roof topped with an octagonal wooden lantern and leaded spire. 2 side wall stacks in the form of buttresses. Perpendicular Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables, battered square angle buttresses with flat caps, rising above the parapet. Octagonal plan with south porch and gabled eastern wing. East wing has a 3-light pointed arch window with the mullions carried above the parapet as buttresses. Between them, a datestone. Below, an apsidal projection, 2 storeys, with a flat-headed 3-light traceried window on each floor. On either side, similar fenestration. The main body has a 5-light pointed arch window with panel tracery on 6 sides, under a gable. Below 4 of them, 3 single flat-headed windows. Under the south-west window, a gabled porch with flanking buttresses and chamfered segmental pointed doorway with overlight and 3 doors. Adjoining hall, to north-west, has a gabled wing to right with a 3-light mullioned casement on each floor. To left, a square porch with flanking buttresses, similar to the south-west one. INTERIOR: has round-headed arcades with round columns and shallow dome. Panelled gallery. East side has traceried panelled dais and reading desk in front of organ case. 4 original pendant lights. Undergoing conversion to offices at time of survey. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, a coped boundary wall with wrought-iron railing to steps and landing. WJ Hale, 1862-1929, designed a number of noteworthy schools and Nonconformist churches in Sheffield between 1893 and 1929. Wesley Hall, Crookes, (qv) is of a similar design. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.