You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456912  

Print Page



© Mr Adrian Exton

IoE Number: 456912
Location: PRIESTLEY'S HOUSE, 19 THE GREEN (south side)
  CALNE, NORTH WILTSHIRE, WILTSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Adrian Exton
Date Photographed: 22 June 2005
Date listed: 19 May 1950
Date of last amendment: 19 May 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CALNEST9970THE GREEN755-1/5/157(South side)

CALNE ST9970 THE GREEN 755-1/5/157 (South side) 19/05/50 No.19 Priestley's House GV II* House. C16; refronting dated 1758. Limestone ashlar, coursed rubble sides, right-hand ashlar gable stack and slate and pantile roof. Double-depth plan with a long rear W wing. 2 storeys, attic and semi-basement; 3-window range. Divided by plinth, plat band, thin cornice and parapet, with roll-moulded coping to front gables, and parallel gabled range behind. Entrance between left-hand windows has a raised surround with pediment, and swept steps and curtail up with a wrought-iron railing to a 6-panel door. Paired mid C18 windows in raised surrounds to slightly recessed 9/6-pane sashes with thick glazing bars. 2 large early C19 hipped 4-light dormers with leaded casements, and a smaller 6-pane dormer between. 3 basement openings have ovolo mullions, of 3 lights to the centre and right, and 4 to the left. A panel above the door inscribed C/F*E/1758. The left-hand gable has a window in a former door; the rear gable has altered C20 mullion and transom ground- and first-floor windows, and a chamfered stone-mullioned attic window. S front has a central Tudor-arched doorway with chamfered reveals, and a long W range, a C17 former malthouse with blocked 2-light mullion windows to semi-basement, later C18 2-light wood-framed windows inserted with segmental-arched lunette window in S gable, and 3 small eaves gables to the attic drying floor. INTERIOR not inspected but reported to include a C16 full-width semi-basement remodelled C17; 4-centre ovolo moulded doorhead re-used with C17 chamfered jambs; 5-centred arched stone lintel to fireplace with moulded head converted for use as oven. Ground and first floors with chamfered oak beam and floor boards. C17 fireplaces; first-floor hob grates. Later C16 moulded wall beam re-used as doorway lintel in malthouse. Rear dormers show ends of extended collar beam trusses. HISTORICAL NOTE: originally a continuous range with No.20 (qv) and the White Hart Hotel (qv), the semi-basement extends beneath all three; divided into 2 houses, and refronted, in mid C18 by the Child family of Heddington. The home of Dr Priestley c1772-9 who in 1774 discovered oxygen while working as librarian for the Earl of Shelbourne at Bowood House.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.