You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 456965  

Print Page



© Mr Leo Jacobs

IoE Number: 456965
Location: ROYAL MILL, REDHILL STREET (north side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Leo Jacobs
Date Photographed: 30 August 2000
Date listed: 11 November 1988
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8498 REDHILL STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/462 (North West side) 11/11/88 Royal Mill (Formerly Listed as: HENRY STREET, Ancoats (North East side) Royal Mill) GV II* Cotton spinning mill, now clothing works. Dated 1912, and built to use mains electricity. Red brick with terracotta and stone dressings, with cast iron, steel and concrete internal structure. Distinctive baroque detailing. 6 storeys, 10x3 bays, with external stair-tower at NW corner, surmounted by dome, with electric motors housed in towers projecting from E wall. 7 storey entrance block to Redhill Street elevation, built over courtyard entrance and linking Royal Mill with the earlier Sedgwick Mills (qv). This has large segmental archway with cast iron surround. Office to right of entrance, with segmental doorway. Narrow advanced privy turret to left of entrance, with pairs of narrow windows to all floors, and cornice and segmental pedimented parapet. Water tower set back behind entrance block. Wide segmentally arched windows in each bay of main body of mill, which is enriched with banded and panelled corner pilasters, and heavy stone band above 3rd floor windows. The mill forms part of the McConnell Kennedy works, together with the earlier Sedgwick Mills and Paragaon Mill (qv). A further mill (Long Mill) is no longer extant. A stone over the entrance records that the mill replaced an earlier building on the site, originally built in 1797. Included as an early example of a mill designed to use mains electricity from the outset, which forms an important part of the McConnell Kennedy works.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.