© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
WADSLEY PARISH CHURCH, WORRALL LANE (north east side)
SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
12 January 2002
28 June 1973
Date of last amendment:
12 December 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK39SW WORRALL LANE, Wadsley
784-1/1/905 (North East side)
28/06/73 Wadsley Parish Church
(Formerly Listed as:
WORRALL ROAD, Wadsley
Wadsley Parish Church)
Parish church. 1833-34. By Joseph Potter. Restored following a
fire, 1885. Vestry dated 1897. Ashlar with slate roofs. Gothic
PLAN: west tower with spire, nave with aisles, chancel,
south-east porch, north-east vestry.
EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, coped parapets.
Short chancel has blank sides. East end has graduated triple
lancet and above, a central oval window with hoodmould.
6-bay buttressed aisles have single lancets in each bay and at
the west ends. South aisle has a gabled figure niche in the
east end. North aisle has a similar niche with a squat lancet
Gabled south-east porch has chamfered pointed doorway, and a
single lancet in each side.
3 stage west tower has angle buttresses up to the second
stage, string courses, traceried corbel table, and octagonal
broach spire with a single tier of lucarnes. West side has a
chamfered doorway with a bracket lamp above it, and above
again, a gabled niche. North and south sides have a single
lancet. Second stage has a clock to west and a single lancet
to north and south. Bell stage has a single lancet opening
Parapeted flat-roofed north-east vestry has to north two
2-light mullioned windows, and to east a square chamfered
doorway, all with hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR has double chamfered chancel arch with conical
imposts. Chancel has principal rafter roof and patterned
stained glass. 6-bay nave has 4-centred arched arcades with
hoodmoulds and stops, and fluted octagonal iron piers with
moulded capitals and bases. On 3 sides, wooden gallery with
traceried front panel. Principal rafter roof with arch braces
and short wooden wall shafts. Aisles have similar lean-to
roofs. South aisle has a single stained glass window, 1866.
Tower porch and vestibule have half-glazed doors and 2 plain
stone winder stairs.
Fittings include wooden reredos in Decorated style, traceried
panelled benches, C19. Pulpit and reading desk C20.
Memorials are C19 wall tablets. Wooden war memorial tablet
with marble panel, c1920.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West
Riding: London: 1967-: 459).