You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457531  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 457531
Location: BANNER CROSS METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED ROOMS AND SCHOOLROOM, ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH (west side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 March 2001
Date listed: 11 February 1992
Date of last amendment: 11 February 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK38SWECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH784-1/9/292(West side)

SHEFFIELD SK38SW ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH 784-1/9/292 (West side) 11/02/92 Banner Cross Methodist Church and attached rooms and schoolroom GV II Methodist church, adjoining meeting rooms and schoolroom. Church 1929, by WJ Hale. Former church, now schoolroom, 1907, by George Baines & Son of London; built by Charles Ward of Sheffield. EXTERIOR: 1929 church, coursed squared stone with red brick and concrete dressings and slate and flat roofs. Free Gothic Revival style. Chancel, vestries and meeting rooms, nave, west tower and porch, cloakrooms. Plinth, low coped gables and parapets, flush string courses. Single bay gabled chancel has a traceried 3-light east window and a similar window to north and south. Attached to the east end, crosswise block of church rooms. 2 storeys; 3 window range of 3-light cross casements. Below, 3 glazed double doors with side and top lights. Between floors, rendered panels. The bays are divided by flat buttresses. North gable has a flat-roofed addition with canted glazing bar bay window. South end has a similar bay window on each floor. Nave, 5 bays, has to east single buttresses. On each side, 3 recesses with brick segmental arches, each containing a segment-arched traceried double lancet. Between the recesses, shouldered shallow projections, each with a single lancet with round-arched brick head. Single storey vestry, to north-east, has pyramidal rooflight and half-glazed double doors. Squat, rectangular west tower, 2 stages, has shallow pitched coped gable. On either side, a projecting battered cheek, with recessed top stage and a slit opening on 2 sides. To west, 2 elongated single lancets with round brick arches, transoms and tracery, and moulded sillband. Between them, a recessed cross, and above, a round window with brick surround and plate tracery. Below, a pair of round-arched doorways with imposts, containing half-glazed double doors with fanlights. On either side, a recessed panel. Beyond, on either side, a flat-roofed cloakroom with a 4-light flat-headed mullioned window. Each return has 2 small single windows. Schoolroom, 1907, rock-faced stone and brick, with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. Arts and Crafts style. Central hall flanked by hipped cloakrooms and single storey meeting rooms, with a similar block across the east end. Coped west gable has shouldered gabled pediment topped with a finial. On either side, a square tower buttress with slit openings at the top and large overhanging flat leaded caps with tall finials. Segment arched traceried 5-light Perpendicular style lancet. Below, a 3-light mullioned window, flanked by segment-arched double doors with hoodmoulds. Beyond, on either side, a hipped cloakroom with a 2-light mullioned window. Returns have similar windows. Outside, steps to paved forecourt with low stone boundary wall with 8 square gate piers. Wall and piers have chamfered coping. Main hall has a 6-light box dormer on either side. At the east end, a segment-arched 5-light window and 2 gable stacks. Meeting rooms have three 3-light mid C20 windows. Crosswise block has 3 similar segment-arched windows and conical metal roof vents. INTERIOR: church has an overall segment-arched roof with built up wooden beams on plain stone corbels, and deep soffits. Ceiling has exposed wooden rafters and plywood panels. Narrowed east end has 2 rendered pilasters flanking the stained glass east window. Below the window, a half-glazed door. On either side, a round-arched recess, that to south blank, that to north with organ pipes, each with a 3-light stained glass window above. To north a smaller round arch with organ pipes, and to south, a half-glazed door. West end has a round arch containing framed wooden gallery with plywood panels. Below, on either side, a half-glazed door with fanlight. Entrance lobby has a round-arched opening at either end with half-glazed door. Fittings include original panelled benches and choir stalls, and modified panelled wooden pulpit. Mid C20 communion rail and octagonal oak font. Memorials include a 3-panel wooden war memorial tablet, c1920. Schoolroom interior has a mid C20 ceiling and on either side, 3 bay arcades with square wooden posts with cornices carrying the aisle plate. Above, open studding with braces forming round arches. Tie beams on arch brackets. To north and south, segment-arched panelled doors. To west, 2 square corniced internal porches with double doors. WJ Hale, 1862-c1929, was a pupil of Innocent & Brown before establishing his own practice in Sheffield in 1893. Between 1893 and 1914, he designed a number of noteworthy board schools and Nonconformist churches. (Who's Who in Architecture, 1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.