You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457533  

Print Page

© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 457533
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 March 2001
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


SHEFFIELD SK38SW ECCLESALL ROAD SOUTH 784-1/9/294 (North West side) 28/06/73 Church of All Saints II Parish church. 1789, remodelled 1843. Transepts, chancel, vestries and south chapel 1906-08 by Temple Moore. Interior remodelled 1964 and 1971 by GG Pace. Ashlar west end, rubble east end with ashlar dressings, with slate roofs. PLAN: chancel with clerestory, south chapel, north vestries, and transepts all with undercroft and with round and square headed openings. Porches, aisleless nave and west tower. EXTERIOR: early C20 additions have buttresses and coped gables and single lancet windows. Chancel east end has 3 chamfered lancets. Above them, 3 larger graduated lancets with hoodmoulds. On north and south sides, clerestory with 8 lancets. South chapel has 3 lancets to south and a single one to east, with hoodmould. Vestries have canted north-east corner with 2 lancets and square corner stack. North side has 3 lancets and above, to west, a single one. South transept has 5 lancets with linked hoodmould, and a clerestory with 3 lancets to east and 2 to west. To east, a lean-to projection with a lancet to south and to east. North transept has similar fenestration with 3 lancets with hoodmoulds. In the transept return angles, square flat-roofed porches with shouldered Norman style doorways. 5 bay nave has plinth, sillband, chamfered eaves, coped gables and west clasping buttresses. On either side, 5 single lancets with hoodmoulds. West end has a round-headed window on each floor on either side of the tower. Unbuttressed square west tower, 3 stages, has plinth, quoins, string courses, corbel table, crenellated parapet and pyramidal slate roof. First stage has to west a Norman style doorway with shafts and above it a round-headed window, also with shafts. To south, a chamfered doorway. Second stage has a trefoil to west and a clock to north and south. Bell stage has a single lancet opening on each side with shafts and hoodmould. INTERIOR: chancel has a double chamfered arch with hoodmould and clustered shafts, and a segmental arched wooden roof. North side has a 3 bay arcade with a smaller central pointed arch flanked by a larger segmental arch to left and a round one to right, all with hoodmoulds. Round piers with flanking shafts. Above, an 8 bay arcade with 5 windows, and 3 arches with wooden screens, 1926. South side has similar arcade with smaller central arch flanked by segmental arches, and above, an arcade with 8 windows. East end has 2 sillbands and a 7 bay arcade with 3 windows with shafts and hoodmoulds. Above, a graduated triple lancet with hoodmoulds. Below, 2 doors. South chapel has stained glass windows, early C19. Vestries have wooden screens, cross beam ceilings and stained glass windows. Transepts and crossing have continuous roof similar to chancel. North transept has stained glass windows to north and a segment-headed double door to west. East side has a pointed arch and a round arch, both with hoodmoulds, with an octagonal pier. Above, a triple arcade with wooden screen, 1926. South transept has a similar west door and stained glass windows to all sides. East side has a round arch and a smaller pointed arch with a clustered pier and hoodmoulds. Above, 3 partly blocked lancets. Nave has a triangular vaulted ceiling carried on steel columns. East end has double chamfered crossing arch with triple shaft imposts. Side passages have double chamfered eastern arches and C19 stained glass windows. West end has central doorway, with another door above to the former gallery, and a single round-headed window on each floor at each side, the lower ones with stained glass. Fittings include ashlar font by GG Pace, 1964, and C19 traceried octagonal pulpit and lectern. Memorials include numerous mid and late C19 wall tablets and World Wars memorial tablets on oak panel. (The history of the Church of All Saints: Jackson JG: Sheffield: 1973-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.