You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 457967  

Print Page



© Dr Eric Ritchie

IoE Number: 457967
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, NUTHALL ROAD (south west side)
  NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Eric Ritchie
Date Photographed: 28 June 2006
Date listed: 30 November 1995
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NOTTINGHAMSK54SWNUTHALL ROAD646-1/3/456(South West side)

NOTTINGHAM SK54SW NUTHALL ROAD 646-1/3/456 (South West side) Christ Church, Cinderhill GV II Parish church. 1856. By TC Hine of Nottingham. Octagonal choir vestry, 1902. Rockfaced Bulwell stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: chancel, vestry and organ chamber, nave with south porch and bell turret, north aisle, choir vestry. EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, buttresses, traceried pointed arched windows and doors with hood moulds. Chancel has a 4-light east window and to south, a blocked priest's door with a single lancet to east and a 2-light window to west. Lean-to vestry has a lancet to east and door to north. Organ chamber has a 2-light window to north. Nave has gabled south porch with moulded doorway and shafts, and single light flat-headed side windows. To west, a 2-light window, to east 2 similar windows. At the south-west corner, an octagonal bell turret with 2 lancets and 8 single bell openings under gables. Octagonal spire with weathercock. West end has 2 lancets and above, a triangular window. North aisle has four 2-light windows, and a similar west window. Octagonal choir vestry has angle buttresses and 6 lancets copied from the nave west end. Spire roof with finial. Between the vestry and the nave, a corridor with segmental pointed door. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has double chamfered arch with clustered shaft responds, and roof with arch braces simulating a vault. North side has a segmental pointed opening to the organ chamber, and a similar doorway to east. East end has a shallow sanctuary with a stained glass window dated 1898. South side has a recess and a blocked doorway fitted with seats, and 2 stained glass windows, late C19. Nave has scissor braced roof with collars, and a north arcade, 4 bays, with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. South side has a stained glass east window, C19 and a memorial stained glass window, 1915. West end has pointed arched doors to the bell turret and the vestry. North aisle has lean-to roof, and at the east end, a cusped stone screen, 3 bays. Vestry has strutted ribbed roof with centre post and boss, and carved wooden corbels. Fittings include octagonal font with figurative panels and inscriptions, on clustered columns, and original stalls and benches. Rood screen 1925, other fittings later C20. Memorials include a marble and slate tablet, 1868. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 266; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers Hine ; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 20; Church Guide: Nottingham).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.