You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458193  

Print Page



© Mr James Warman

IoE Number: 458193
Location: PREMISESOF WILLIAM JONES AND SONS (MALTSTERS) LIMITED DITHERINGTON,
  SHREWSBURY, SHREWSBURY AND ATCHAM, SHROPSHIRE
Photographer: Mr James Warman
Date Photographed: 28 September 2002
Date listed: 10 January 1953
Date of last amendment: 17 November 1995
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHREWSBURY 653-1/4/748 SPRING GARDENS 09-JUN-03 DITHERINGTON (West side) FORMER DITHERINGTON FLAX MILL AND ATTA CHED FORMER MALTING KILN (Formerly listed as: DITHERINGTON SPRING GARDENS FLAX MILL) GV I Also Known As: PREMISESOF WILLIAM JONES AND SONS (MALTSTERS) LIMITED DITHERINGTON, DITHERINGTON Former textile factory, designed for the production of flax yarn, and empty at time of reinspection (2001). 1796-1805, partially rebuilt in 1811 following fire damage. Converted and extended to form maltings 1897-8. Designed by Charles Bage as a flax mill, owned and operated by Marshall, Benyon and Bage. Red brick with Welsh slate roof coverings and iron farmed construction. Complex formed by sequential development of MAIN MILL, CROSS MILL AND WAREHOUSE, subsequently linked by the addition of the MALT KILN PLAN: Accretional development, now an extended L- plan formed by Main Mill, aligned north-south, Cross Mill, extending westwards from the north end of Main Mill, Malt Kiln at the junction of the 2 ranges and the Warehouse, now attached to the north face of the Malt Kiln. EXTERIORS: MAIN MILL of 5 storeys, 18 bays, roofed by transverse gables, and extended by additional bays to south and north, built as engine houses.Original pattern of fenestration survives as blockings in eastand west elevations, 16 windows, most blocked or reduced in size on conversion to maltings. MALT KILN added c1897-98 to the north of Main Mill. Kiln tower, square in plan, with 3 principal floors with 3 small windows, and massive pyramidal slate roof. Tall wooden hoist tower adjoins, with wrought-iron coronet on roof. CROSS MILL, rebuilt following fire, 1811. Walls of red bricks, roof slated to south pitch, corrugated asbestos to north. Rectangular plan with stair at west end. 5 storeys, with chamfered external offset at second floor level, 11-window range. Original openings to north and south blocked or reduced in size on conversion to maltings. WAREHOUSE: Brick with Welsh slate roof, iron-framed. 4 storeys, 9 bays with scattered window openings, many now blocked following conversion to maltings. INTERIORS: MAIN MILL. Internal structure iron-framed, comprising transverse cast-iron beams carried on pairs of columns on each floor and supporting shallow brick arched ceilings. Central row of columns on ground, third and fourth floors associated with power transmission from engines housed to north and south. Staircase to south. Cast iron roof structure. CROSS MILL. Internal iron-framed structure in which cast-iron columns support shallow brick jack arches sprung between cast-iron beams. Cast-iron roof structure. WAREHOUSE: Like Main Mill, the warehouse has 3 rows of cast iron columns forming the central support to the floor system of the building, and cast iron roof structure. HISTORY: Main Mill is the earliest iron-framed building in the world. Purpose-built as a flax mill, it is also notable as marking a transition to the factory production of flax. After its closure as a flax mill in 1886, the site was acquired by William Jones and converted into a maltings in 1897-98, closing in 1986. Cross Mill, now the eighth oldest iron framed building was originally the hackling or flax dressing block for the flax mill, and of conventional timber-floored construction until severely damaged by a fire. It was radically altered and assumed its present form as a fire-proof building following reconstruction in 1811. It formed part of the conversion to maltings in 1897-98. The Warehouse is the third oldest iron-framed, fire proof building in the world, and the second oldest component on the site. Forms a group with the Apprentice House (q.v.) The Dye House and Stove House (q.v.), the Stables (q.v.) and the Smithy (q.v.) The Ditherington Flax Mill complex contains the worlds earliest iron framed building, an advance in constructional technology which made possible not only the development of multi-storeyed, fire proof industrial buildings, but, more significantly, changed for ever the way buildings were designed and constructed. That this advance was expressed first in a textile factory has led to the now- iconic status of the building type as the most potent symbol of the Industrial Revolution. The closely- related subsequent additions of the Warehouse and the Cross Mill components, sequentially the third and eighth oldest iron- framed buildings endows the Ditherington Flax mill site with a unique architectural and historic significance. Macleod M, Trinder B, Worthington M: Ditherington Flax Mill, Shrewsbury: Ironbridge: 1988-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.