You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458434  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 458434
Location: SOMME BARRACKS AND DRILL HALL, GLOSSOP ROAD (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 12 December 1995
Date of last amendment: 30 July 1999
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3487SWGLOSSOP ROAD784-1/22/382(North side)

SK 3487 SW SHEFFIELD GLOSSOP ROAD (North side) 784-1/22/382 Somme Barracks and Drill Hall 12.12.1995 II Territorial army barracks and drill hall. Dated 1907, altered late C20. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped and gabled concrete tile roofs. 2 brick ridge stacks with lozenge-shaped double flues. Tudor Revival style. PLAN: L-shaped barracks with angled corner incorporating entrance, and with attached drill hall to end of left return. EXTERIOR: plinth, impost and sillbands, eaves string course, coped parapet and gables. 2 storeys plus basement and attics; 6 x 9 windows. L-plan with angled corner. Windows are mainly stone cross mullioned with C20 casements, those to the ground floor with segmental heads and linked hoodmoulds. Corner entrance bay has slightly projecting tower porch topped with octagonal corner turrets and ogee domes with ball finials. On the first floor, a 5-light window under a segmental pediment with frieze inscribed "1st. WYRE (Vols)". On either side, a 2-light window. Above, the Royal arms, flanked by single light windows, under a common label mould. Round-arched carriage entrance with voussoirs and keystone. Hood mould carried on banded Doric columns topped with obelisks. Double board doors topped with metal grating. On either side, a small 2-light mullioned window. Left return to West Street, has a gabled central bay with two 3-light windows under segmental pediments, and above, a shallow 4-light window. On either side, a 2-light and a 3-light window. Below, two 3-light windows with between them, a moulded square war memorial panel, 1918. On either side, a 4-light and a 3-light window. Basement has 12 small openings. Attached drill hall shallow hipped roof behind plain parapet. Below, end wall divided into 4 bays by shallow pilasters. Each bay with single upper window with plain stone head and cill, and 3 ground floor windows, similarly detailed. Right return, to Gell Street, has central gable with pedimented 4-light window and above, a shallow 4-light window. On either side, on each floor, a 3-light and a 4-light window. To left, an external side wall quadruple stack, flanked to left by a 3-light window on each floor. To right, a gable with two 3-light windows on each floor, and a smaller window in the gable. Basement has, to left, 6 small openings. INTERIOR not inspected.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.