© Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, RALEIGH STREET (north side)
NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB
17 March 2005
12 July 1972
Date of last amendment:
30 November 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK54SE RALEIGH STREET
646-1/4/515 (North West side)
12/07/72 Church of All Saints
(Formerly Listed as:
ALL SAINTS STREET
Church of All Saints)
Parish church. 1863-64. By Hine & Evans for William Windley.
Rockfaced stone and ashlar in contrasting colours, polychrome
ashlar bands and dressings. Plain tile roofs, hipped and
gabled. Gothic Revival style.
PLAN: apsidal chancel, chapel and vestry, transepts, nave with
clerestory and aisles, porches, baptistry, west tower with
EXTERIOR: plinth, coped gables with crosses. Windows have
pointed arches with plate tracery and hood moulds. Chancel,
single bay, has buttressed east end and renewed parapet. Five
east windows, 2-lights, with blind arcades below. Single round
window each side, and frieze with 4 quatrefoil windows.
Priest's door in angle to south.
North chapel has a 3-light east window. Vestry, to south, has
a wheel window to east, with a small 2-light window below it.
3-light window to south.
North and south transepts each have a wheel window in a
pointed arch surround, and a buttress stack to south-east.
Clerestory has on each side 4 traceried window heads, and a
smaller window head to east.
Aisles, 4 bays, have three 3-light windows and porch to west.
Traceried window head in west end. Gabled porches have moulded
doorways with cast-iron lamp brackets above them, and 2 round
windows to east.
Baptistry, north of the tower, gabled with a 3-light window.
West tower, 3 stages, has buttresses and on the south west
corner, a round stair turret with spire. To west, a large
3-light window. Above, on each side, 2 small lancets. Bell
stage has enriched 3-light openings. Octagonal broach spire
with 2 tiers of lucarnes.
INTERIOR has mainly roll-moulded arches and main windows with
shafts. Chancel has arch with marble shafts and polychrome
gable, and pointed arched wagon roof. North and south sides
have arched openings. East end has stained glass window, 1882,
and triptych by Hammersley Ball. Piscina to south. North
chapel has truss roof and stained glass east window, 1922, by
Ms Howson and Ms Townsend.
Nave has arcades, 5 bays, with round piers and linked hood
moulds, arch braced roof with stone wall shafts on corbels.
Double chamfered tower arch and stained glass west window.
Aisles have arch braced roofs and single stained glass
windows, that to north dated 1927. North aisle has pointed
arched west doorway. Transepts have common rafter roofs and
double chamfered arch to east. North arch has traceried wooden
screen. South arch has war memorial, c1920, in the form of a
reredos and altar.
Fittings include arcaded round ashlar font with cover by Harry
Gill, enriched round ashlar pulpit, cross-framed benches and
traceried stalls, all original. Brass eagle lectern.
Memorials include brass, 1877, to Willam Windley, the founder,
and another brass to his family.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 237; Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Thomas Chambers
Hine ; an architect of Victorian Nottingham: Nottingham: 19).