You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458546  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Greaves

IoE Number: 458546
Location: WATERWORKS PUMPING STATION, ROPEWALK (north east side)
  NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Alan Greaves
Date Photographed: 24 July 2002
Date listed: 30 November 1995
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NOTTINGHAMSK5640SWROPEWALK646-1/12/540(North East side)

NOTTINGHAM SK5640SW ROPEWALK 646-1/12/540 (North East side) Waterworks pumping station II Waterworks pumping station, now workshop. 1850. For the Nottingham Waterworks Co. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped concrete tile roof. Gothic Revival style. Chamfered plinth, buttresses, modillion cornice, coped parapet. 2 storeys; 1 x 3 bays. Pointed arched openings with ashlar surrounds. Main entrance front, to south, has a segmental pointed doorway with late C20 doors and screen, flanked by angle buttresses. Above, a double lancet. Each side has a central buttress flanked by double lancets, and above, 3 single lancets. North side has a single lancet, and 2 smaller lancets above. At the north west corner, a square tower, 2 stages, formerly with a pyramidal roof. Modillion string course and moulded parapet. On the lower stage, diaper work and a single lancet. Upper stage has a single lancet on each side. This pumping station was the first of a series of pumping stations built to extract water from artesian wells to supplement the cities water supply. It worked till 1880, when Nottingham Corporation took control of the water undertakings. It was used as a garage from 1930. (Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: The Park estate, Nottingham: Nottingham: 1984-: 20; Plan of the Town Of Nottingham (etc): Salmon E: Nottingham: 1861-; City of Nottingham Water Department: Short History of the Waterworks: Nottingham: 1930-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.