You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458580  

Print Page



© Dr Eric Ritchie

IoE Number: 458580
Location: CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, ST MATTHIAS ROAD (east side)
  NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Dr Eric Ritchie
Date Photographed: 25 January 2006
Date listed: 12 July 1972
Date of last amendment: 12 July 1972
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NOTTINGHAMSK54SEST MATTHIAS ROAD, Sneinton646-1/4/606(East side)

NOTTINGHAM SK54SE ST MATTHIAS ROAD, Sneinton 646-1/4/606 (East side) 12/07/72 Church of St Matthias GV II Parish church. 1867-68. By TC Hine of Nottingham. Chancel rebuilt c1950 following war damage. Rockfaced Bulwell stone with blue lias limestone bands, ashlar dressings and concrete tile roofs. Gothic Revival style. Plinth. PLAN: nave with clerestory and western bellcote, apsidal chancel, vestry and organ chamber, vestigial aisles and transepts, south porch. EXTERIOR: apse has conical slate roof and 2 lancets. Nave has unusual continuous clerestory with cast-iron traceried windows. West end has appointed arched recess with 2 shouldered doors, and above, a triple lancet. Above again, a round window with plate tracery and a gabled bellcote with 3 openings. Transepts have coped gables and double lancets, with a round window above. Vestry, to south-east, has a window on each side. South porch has coped gable and chamfered pointed arched doorway. 2 round windows on each side. INTERIOR: painted brick, has pointed chancel arch and side arches with round columns and foliage capitals. Oval light above. Vaulted apse with stained glass windows, 1913 and 1918. Nave has an unusual truss roof with laminated wood arch braces on turned wooden arcade posts. Turned wooden struts and matchboard ceilings. Transepts have 3 stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20. Fittings include original octagonal font, square wooden pulpit on ashlar base, and benches. Laminated wood was sometimes used for curved roof members in large C19 buildings, eg King's Cross Station (Lewis Cubitt, 1851) and Lincoln Corn Exchange (Bellamy & Hardy, 1870), and the Old Malt Cross Music Hall St James's Street, Nottingham (qv) (Edwin Hill 1877). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 250; Curl JS: Victorian Architecture: London: 1990-: 210).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.