You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458595  

Print Page



© Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB

IoE Number: 458595
Location: ARKWRIGHT BUILDING, NOTTINGHAM TRENT UNIVERSITY, SHAKESPEARE STREET (south side)
  NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAM, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roy Millett AFIAP, APAGB
Date Photographed: 17 March 2005
Date listed: 12 July 1972
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NOTTINGHAM SK5740SW SHAKESPEARE STREET 646-1/14/547 (South side) 12/07/72 Arkwright Building, Nottingham Trent University (Formerly Listed as: SHAKESPEARE STREET University of Nottingham College & Library) GV II Former university college, public library, technical schools and natural history museum, now university building. By Lockwood & Mawson of Bradford. 1877-81; closed for structural repairs 1883-90. Rear additions early and mid C20. Ashlar and yellow brick, with ashlar dressings and banded Westmorland slate roofs. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, string courses, pierced balustrade, cast-iron crests to the main roofs. Pointed arched windows with shafts and linked hood moulds. Symmetrical main front and returns, 9 x 5 bays, enclosing a central block flanked by narrow courtyards. Main range, to Shakespeare Street, 2 storeys plus basement and attics; 9 bays. Projecting centre and end bays, all with elaborate gables with spire turrets. Ground floor has traceried windows, first floor arcaded windows. Central entrance bay has an arched triple doorway under gables, and above, 3 traceried windows. Side ranges, 8 windows, have canted bay windows in the fourth bay, and gabled dormers. End bays have 2 windows, with a single traceried window above. Left return, to South Sherwood Street, has a corner block, 4 windows, with a canted corner turret and spire to left. In the centre, a range with projecting centre, 4 windows, and side bays, 3 windows, all under a clerestory roof. To left, a projecting block with doorway and sidelights, and hipped roof. Beyond, projecting addition in the same style, c1920, 3 windows, with buttressed gable end. Right return the same, with mid C20 footbridge attached to the right-hand block. Rear elevations in a simpler style, mainly brick, with a square factory chimney with polychrome bands. INTERIOR has central entrance hall with elaborate pointed arched arcades on 2 sides, the right one containing a cast-iron open well stair. Landings on 2 sides, with wrought-iron balustrades, the right landing arcaded. Panelled, hooded chimneypiece in medieval style. Arcaded first floor corridor to right. Minor staircase with marble and alabaster balustrade. Arcaded corridors towards the rear, with round wooden columns. Some ground floor rooms have cast-iron columns. Workshop at rear with wooden queen post roof. First floor workshops on each side have elaborate steel trussed clerestory roofs. Early C20 addition has segment-arched hall on the first floor. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 238).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.