You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458629  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 458629
Location: ENTRANCE GATEWAY TO GREEN LANE WORKS, GREEN LANE (north side)
  SHEFFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 January 2002
Date listed: 01 May 1952
Date of last amendment: 01 May 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK3588SWGREEN LANE784-1/15/393(North side)

SHEFFIELD SK3588SW GREEN LANE 784-1/15/393 (North side) 01/05/52 Entrance gateway to Green Lane Works II* Works entrance. Dated 1860. Built for Henry Hoole. Restored and refronted 1985. Ashlar, stucco and brick, with gabled and hipped slate roof with single gable stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys; 8 bays. Entrance, in the form of a tripartite triumphal arch, has quoins, impost band and dentilled cornice. Projecting centre has dentilled pediment and frieze inscribed "Green Lane Works". Round-arched entrance with rusticated base and voussoirs and mask keystone. Narrow wings have framed bronze relief panels of Industry and Art, possibly by Alfred Stevens, who was employed by the firm in 1850-52. Below, single round-headed doorways. On either side, a blank stucco bay and beyond, blank brick bays, 1985. Under the archway, a pair of tall board doors. Above, a square cupola with diagonal buttresses, and console brackets to the corniced clock stage, topped with a round-arched square lantern with square dome and weather vane. Plainer rear elevation has pediment with bust in roundel and the inscription "Established AD 1795. Rebuilt by Henry E Hoole 1860". Rusticated gateway. To left, a stucco wing with first floor sillband. Five 12 pane sashes and a tripartite sash. Above, 8 late C20 windows. INTERIOR not inspected. From c1851-1930, this works was used for making cast-iron fireplaces, and from 1940-48 for making razor blades. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 470; Information board in company office).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.