You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 458679  

Print Page

© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 458679
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 25 June 2006
Date listed: 28 June 1973
Date of last amendment: 28 June 1973
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SHEFFIELDSK48SWHIGH STREET, Beighton784-1/11/801(West side (off))

SHEFFIELD SK48SW HIGH STREET, Beighton 784-1/11/801 (West side (off)) 28/06/73 Church of St Mary the Virgin II* Parish church. C12, C14 and C15. Restored 1773. Chancel, south aisle and nave rebuilt during restoration of 1867-68. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chamfered plinth, coped gables with crosses. PLAN: chancel, nave with aisles, south porch, west tower. EXTERIOR: chancel has string course and diagonally buttressed east gable with a C19 Decorated 3-light pointed arch window with hoodmould. South side has a central buttress flanked by 2-light windows with ogee heads and flat-headed surrounds with label moulds. Nave has a low clerestory with moulded eaves and 3 quatrefoils on each side. Buttressed 3 bay south aisle has 2 restored Decorated 2-light windows with flat-headed surrounds, and in either end, a similar window with label mould. Buttressed 3 bay north aisle includes vestry at east end with a square corner stack. 2 cusped ogee 2-light windows, possibly C18, and to west, a chamfered door with hoodmould. West end has an early C15 2-light window with label mould. East end has a C19 shouldered doorway and a single lancet. C19 south porch has coped gable and flanking buttresses, moulded doorway and hoodmould. In each side, an ogee double lancet. Scissor braced roof and wrought-iron screen. 2 stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs, string courses, gargoyles and crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has to west a Perpendicular transomed 3-light pointed arch window with hoodmould. To south, a blocked shouldered doorway. Second stage has on each side a cusped 2-light pointed arch bell opening with hoodmould. Under them, a clock face to north, south and west. Under the south opening, a small single lancet. INTERIOR: chancel has a large Norman style arch, 1867, with zigzag bands and triple shafts. To left, a chamfered doorway to former rood loft. To right, a large squint. Scissor braced roof. North side has double chamfered organ arch and to east, a shouldered aumbry. South-east side has a restored early C14 piscina. Nave has C14 2 bay arcades with octagonal piers and double chamfered moulded arches, and scissor braced roof. Double chamfered early C14 tower arch with mask capitals and nailhead band and C19 Perpendicular wooden screen. Aisles have C19 roofs. North aisle has C19 Perpendicular wooden screen. South aisle has, to east, a chamfered ogee piscina. Fittings include stained glass windows, 1872 and 1888 and c1870, and C15 fragments in the aisle windows. C19 benches, wooden pulpit and stone font with marble shafts. Early C19 benefactions board. C19 Italian alabaster reredos. Rood by Ninian Comper. Memorials include incised slab, 1480, to John Tynker, and brasses 1667 and 1753. (Historical notes on the Church of St Mary: Rosemary Richards: Beighton Vicarage: 1989-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.